Development Director Job Description
Development directors are essentially the chief navigator of companies funds. They are responsible for overseeing all fundraising initiatives as well as planning future fundraising projects. A development director may also be in charge of developing a "major gifts program" for the organization.
Development Director Job Description Sample
Our organization is seeking an experienced development director to oversee our fundraising efforts. The successful candidate will be responsible for building and maintaining donor relationships as well as managing our fundraising campaigns. You will also be tasked with building a stronger development team and overseeing said team while guiding them through the day to day operations. Candidates who have a distinguished portfolio in coordinating non-profit fundraising and donation strategies are encouraged to apply.
Development Director Salary
According to the numbers found on Glassdoor, the average development director makes an annual pay of $84,502 per year or an hourly earning rate of $43.33 per hour. Entry-level salaries average $56,000 yearly. The range of compensation generally caps out at around $130,000 with the appropriate tenure in the role. Other aspects that may shape your wage may depend on the size of the non-profit organization you're working for.
Development Director Required Soft Skills
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Time management skills.
- Self-motivated and entrepreneurial.
- Sales skills.
- Outstanding planning and organizational skills.
- Finance and budgeting skills.
- Networking ability.
Development Director Duties & Responsibilities
- Plan major gift programs.
- Organize fundraising events.
- Create goals for the fiscal year.
- Hire and oversee staff to aid with fundraising programs.
- Create new donor relationships as well as maintain current donor relationships.
- Research donor relation programs at all levels (local, state, federal).
- Ensure accurate and timely reports to funders.
- Collaborate with staff regarding the planning and management of donor receptions and fundraising events.
- Coordinate with the advertising department to develop marketing collateral.
Development Director Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in finance or a similar field.
- 5 Year minimum experience in fundraising.
- Prior experience as a project manager or financial planner is an asset.
- Experience with non-profit organizations is a plus.
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template
- Step 1: Replace the job duties and requirements based on information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Then post on a job board.
Top Job Boards
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..