Handyman Job Description Sample (+ Free Template)
A handyman works as a contractor or as a member of a maintenance department and performs a wide range of maintenance related duties for homeowners or businesses. They fix plumbing systems, clean and remodel shared spaces, conduct repair assessments, and provide repair guidance.
A handyman may assist with the bidding of commercial or residential projects. Outlining the requirements of the job, presenting the material required to complete the job, the service charges, and providing the customer with a general proposal.
Handyman Job Description Sample
Our company is looking to add an experienced and skilled handyman to our maintenance department. The successful candidate will be responsible for all repair and upkeep duties including responding to maintenance requests, maintaining green spaces and community spaces, and servicing or maintaining company equipment.
An entry-level Handyman can expect an average annual salary of roughly $30,000 while an experienced and skilled professional can earn upwards of $62,000 per year. The median wage for this position is approximately $52,000.
Top candidates have one or more of the following skills:
- Highly organized.
- Skilled using tools and other hardware.
- Effective communication skills.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Hand-eye coordination skills.
- Time management skills.
- Machinery skills.
- Mechanical tool skills.
- Comprehension skills.
- Verbal communication skills.
- Customer service skills.
Handyman Duties and Responsibilities
Sample job duties and handyman responsibilities include:
- Assist with the bidding of commercial or residential projects. Outlining the requirements of the job, presenting the material required to complete the job, the service charges, and providing the customer with a general proposal.
- Identify and report any major maintenance repairs needed.
- Perform repairs on equipment, machinery, and appliances.
- Respond to client maintenance requests.
- Repair electrical, plumbing, and safety systems.
- Conduct performance assessments.
- Basic tasks including painting, filling holes or crevices, and managing maintenance repairs.
- Clean facilities regularly if working as part of a commercial group.
- If part of a commercial group or building maintenance, assist with regular landscaping tasks and coordination.
- If part of a commercial group, fill gaps in the building, provide painting services, and general contractor services.
- Assist with the repair and maintenance of all equipment and various machines or appliances used in daily work.
- Identiy, document, and report on requiremed maintenance work and ongoing maintenance needs to the employer.
Qualified candidates have the following requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of a vocational school or community college for plumbing, electrical, HVAC, or other.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a maintenance role.
- Experience with plumbing and electrical systems is an asset.
- Previous training as a carpenter, handyman, or carpenter apprentice.
- Previous experience in a general contractor role is preferred.
- Personal tools to use like a tile saw, power drill, and other machinery.
Handyman Job Description Template
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template:
- Step 1: Replace the job title, job brief, duties and requirements, and optional work environment sections based on the information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double-check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Proofread the job description. Then post on a job board.
Job Description Format
Follow the format below when writing a job description.
For more information on writing a job description, visit this resource.
Top Job Boards
Consider posting a job description or job advertisement (referred to as a "job ad") on one of the following national job boards:
Related Hiring ResourcesHandyman Resume Example
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..