Mental Health Counselor Job Description
A mental health counselor diagnoses and treats mental health disorders. They work with groups, families, and individuals. They are considered medical professionals and are usually licensed to practice state by state within the U.S.
Job Description Sample
We are seeking a compassionate and knowledgeable Mental Health Counsellor to counsel individuals, groups, or families. You will be responsible for diagnosing and treating mental health disorders, referring clients to specialists if necessary, and monitoring patient progress during treatment.
A mental health counselor earns an average salary of $54,000 per year. Depending on experience or specialization, this salary can range from $39,000 t0 $74,000 per year.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Excellent diagnostic skills.
- Compassion and empathy.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Note-taking ability.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Diagnose and treat mental health disorders.
- Refer clients to specialists as required.
- Create appropriate treatment plans based on individual client needs.
- Monitor patient progress throughout the treatment process.
- Conduct session with groups, families, or individuals.
- Create a comfortable and relaxed environment for client sessions and treatments.
- Maintain accurate records of diagnoses and treatment of clients.
- Maintain patient records.
- Uphold the strictest ethical standards during counseling sessions and treatment.
- Maser’s degree in Psychology.
- Additional training or specializations in family or relationship counseling or other relevant field is an asset.
- Experience in psychotherapy.
Using This Mental Health Counselor Job Description Template
In order to use your new mental health counselor job description template, follow the instructions below.
- Step one: Copy and paste all sections into a new Word Document (Job Description Sample, Duties, Skills, and Requirements).
- Step two: Customize your requirements or duties to anything special to your environment. Be sure that you meet with either executive staff members or team members to qualify what requirements need to be met.
- Step three: When posting your job online, be sure to include an average salary range as this can help to prevent applicants who don't meet your criteria. Salary ranges are provided in each template.
- Step four: Before posting your job, be sure to check with your team and ensure all descriptions, duties, and requirements are accurate. This will save you from potential miscommunications during the interview process.
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..