Medical Coder Job Description Sample
A medical coder works in a healthcare facility and converts patient information into standardized codes. These codes are used on documentation for databases and insurance claims. Medical coders assist medical practitioners in receiving reimbursement for healthcare services.
Job Description Sample
We are looking for an experienced Medical Coder to join our team and help us with coding medical documents for insurance claims and our personal databases. The successful candidate will be assigning CPT, HCPCS, Tenth Revision, ASA, APC, DRG, and ICD-10-CM codes with a high level of accuracy.
Medical coders typically earn a salary of $42,000 per year. However, medical coders can earn anywhere from $30,000 to $60,000 depending on experience in the position.
- Computer skills.
- Superb written and verbal communication.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of patient information.
- Excellent people skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collect relevant data from patient records.
- Clarify information as necessary from physicians or other applicable parties.
- Ensure there is no missing information from documents.
- Assign APC and DRG codes.
- Assign CPT, HCPCS, ICD-10-CM, and ASA codes.
- Perform chart audits.
- Advise staff on medical coding.
- Ensure compliance with policies and guidelines regarding medical coding.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- AAPC certification.
- Minimum of 2 years as a Medical Coder.
Additional Medical Coder Resources
Using Your Template
Follow these instructions to use your new job description template
- Step one: Fill out all details in your job description template using the provided sample on this page.
- Step two: Customize your requirements or duties to anything special to your workplace. Be sure to speak with team members and managers to gauge what's required of the position.
- Step three: When the census of the team has agreed on the description of the work, add in a Equal Employment Opportunity statement to the bottom of your job description.
- Step four: Check with your legal department, management team, and other team members to ensure the job description looks correct before creating a job advertisement. Choose a job board that's specific to your needs.
Related Hiring Resources5+ Best Medical Coder Interview Questions & Answers
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..