Oncologist Job Description Sample (+ Free Template)
An oncologist studies cancer and provides treatment to cancer patients. They manage the patient’s care over the course of the disease. An oncologist is a professional that a person may go to if they feel as though they may have cancer or need to be screened for cancer.
Job Description Sample
We are looking to hire a dedicated Oncologist to work with us in diagnosing and treating patients with varied forms of cancer. The successful candidate will use chemotherapy and other treatments in Medical Oncology, surgically remove tumors and other tissues, and conduct radiation therapy.
An oncologist earns roughly $264,000 per year according to Payscale in 2019. The range of this salary is $139,000 for entry-level oncologists and $414,000 for highly experienced oncologists.
- Surgical skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Strong communication, both written and verbal.
- Leadership skills.
- Caring and compassionate nature.
- Technical skills to use medical equipment and tools.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Diagnose patients and inform them of treatment options such as chemotherapy and immunotherapy.
- Lead a cancer treatment team.
- Coordinate treatment plans.
- Treat patients using radiation therapy.
- Perform surgical operations to remove tumors and determine the spread of the cancer.
- Perform administrative tasks including recording test results, writing prescriptions, monitoring treatment plans, and providing information to patients.
- Medical degree in oncology.
- Successful completion of oncology residency and fellowship in oncology.
- License and certification to practice oncology.
Oncologist Job Description Template
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template:
- Step 1: Replace the job title, job brief, duties and requirements, and optional work environment sections based on the information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double-check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Proofread the job description. Then post on a job board.
Job Description Format
Follow the format below when writing a job description.
For more information on writing a job description, visit this resource.
Top Job Boards
Consider posting a job description or job advertisement (referred to as a "job ad") on one of the following national job boards:
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..