Medical Records Clerk Job Description
Medical Records Clerks manage patient health files in a healthcare facility or hospital. They file records, assist in audits, and collect necessary patient information. They are considered medical staff.
Job Description Sample
Our medical facility is looking to hire an organized and detail-oriented Medical Records Clerk to join our team. The successful candidate for this position will be responsible for collecting patient information, issuing medical files, processing patient admission and discharge papers, and filing all medical records in the facility.
A Medical Records Clerk earns an average salary of $31,000 per year. Depending on experience, this salary ranges from $21,000 to $41,000 per year.
- Attention to detail.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Excellent organizational skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Gather all required patient information.
- Issue medical files to agencies and relevant persons in accordance with laws and regulations.
- Aid with departmental investigations and audits.
- Distribute medical charts appropriately.
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate records.
- Ensure all patient charts and records are completed accurately and in a timely fashion.
- Ensure the strict confidentiality of patient medical records.
- Supply the nursing department with all appropriate forms and documents.
- Various clerical duties as necessary such as answering phones and responding to emails.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in this or a similar role.
- Advanced understanding of medical administration and terminology.
- Experience with information management programs.
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template:
- Step 1: Replace the job title, job brief, duties and requirements, and optional work environment sections based on the information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double-check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Proofread the job description. Then post on a job board.
Job Description Format
Follow the format below when writing a job description.
For more information on writing a job description, visit this resource.
Top Job Boards
Consider posting a job description or job advertisement (referred to as a "job ad") on one of the following national job boards:
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..