Detective Job Description
Detectives investigate and solve crimes. A detective can work with law enforcement agencies, businesses, or with individuals as a Private Detective.
Job Description Sample
We are looking for a qualified and experience Detective to join our investigative team. The successful candidate will investigate alleged criminal activities and be responsible for building a solid case against suspects. You will collect and analyze evidence, interview witnesses and suspects, conduct surveillance, make arrests, and testify in court as necessary.
A detective earns anywhere from $41,000 to $99,000 per year and averages $62,000 annually.
- Critical thinking, investigative abilities, and problem-solving.
- Deductive reasoning and social perceptiveness.
- Ability to work independently or with a team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct investigations of complex criminal activities and all violations of federal, state, and local law.
- Collect and analyze evidence.
- Write detailed reports and maintain superb records.
- Testify in court relating to evidence and findings to secure a conviction.
- Operate firearms and electronic surveillance equipment.
- Coordinate search and arrest warrants and arrest suspects as necessary.
- Interview witnesses and suspects.
- Direct crime scene investigators as well as other law enforcement personal at crime scenes.
- Preserve evidence.
- Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice or a related field OR equivalent training at a law enforcement college.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in law enforcement.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours.
- Ability to travel.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Clean background check.
Using This Detective Job Description Template
In order to use your new detective job description template, follow the instructions below.
- Step one: Copy and paste all sections into a new Word Document (Job Description Sample, Duties, Skills, and Requirements).
- Step two: Customize your requirements or duties to anything special to your environment. Be sure that you meet with either executive staff members or team members to qualify what requirements need to be met.
- Step three: When posting your job online, be sure to include an average salary range as this can help to prevent applicants who don't meet your criteria. Salary ranges are provided in each template.
- Step four: Before posting your job, be sure to check with your team and ensure all descriptions, duties, and requirements are accurate. This will save you from potential miscommunications during the interview process.
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..