Archivist Job Description Sample (+ Free Template)
Archivists oversee the provision, care, and management of permanent collections of historical information. They preserve the past to allow others to be able to discover it.
Archivist Job Description Sample
We are looking for a meticulous archivist to assemble, catalog, and preserve catalogs of historical information. A successful candidate will be responsible for retrieving and arranging documents, reserving and caring for the materials, and ensuring their safety.
An archivist earns between $34,000 and $69,000 per year depending on experience, location, and size of the archival organization. The median salary for this position is roughly $49,000.
- Highly inquisitive.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Methodical and logical.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Personable and friendly.
- Independent research skills.
- Team player.
- Excellent administrative skills.
- Attention to detail.
Archivist Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluate, select, and retrieve historical materials and documents.
- Organize publicity events for collections.
- Ensure that archives are accessible to a wide range of users.
- Store and preserve perishable documents.
- Bid for new funding.
- Negotiate the acquisition of new collections.
- Supervise staff.
- Manage the departmental budget.
- Care for an array of historical documents including maps, parchment, and videos.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, law, history, information management, or another related field.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as an archivist.
Archivist Job Description Template
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template:
- Step 1: Replace the job title, job brief, duties and requirements, and optional work environment sections based on the information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double-check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Proofread the job description. Then post on a job board.
Job Description Format
Follow the format below when writing a job description.
For more information on writing a job description, visit this resource.
Top Job Boards
Consider posting a job description or job advertisement (referred to as a "job ad") on one of the following national job boards:
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..