Private Investigator Job Description (+ Free Template)
A Private Investigator uses surveillance and interviewing processes to uncover hidden objects or understand suspicious behavior or phenomena. They work on behalf of clients and typically work independently.
Private Investigator Job Description Sample
We are looking for an experienced and competent private investigator. The successful candidate for this position will be responsible for using surveillance, interviews, and research to uncover obscure behavior or events and debrief clients on the information gathered.
Private Investigator Salary
A Private Investigator earns between $36,000 and $97,000 per year. The median salary for this position is $53,000 per year.
Private Investigator Required Soft Skills
- Self-defense abilities.
- Highly inquisitive and analytical.
- Steadfast and persistent personality.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Communication skills.
Private Investigator Duties & Responsibilities
- Review client cases and suspicions to determine the need for an investigation.
- Map out investigative responsibilities for each case.
- Gather resources from clients.
- Perform surveillance, conduct interviews, and perform other forms of research to find information relevant to the client’s suspicions.
- Practice self-defense as necessary.
- Heed cautionary guidance and respect determined parameters of the investigation.
- Host transparent and sensitive debriefing consultations with clients to keep them updated on the progress of the investigation.
Private Investigator Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Additional schooling or training in law enforcement or a similar field is an asset.
- Clean criminal record.
- Valid drivers license.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a private investigator or other investigative role.
Private Investigator Job Description Template
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template:
- Step 1: Replace the job title, job brief, duties and requirements, and optional work environment sections based on the information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double-check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Proofread the job description. Then post on a job board.
Job Description Format
Follow the format below when writing a job description.
For more information on writing a job description, visit this resource.
Top Job Boards
Consider posting a job description or job advertisement (referred to as a "job ad") on one of the following national job boards:
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
An ice breaker question is a question that’s asked from one person to another person in order to act as a conversation starter. It brings a connection...
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..