Medical Secretary Job Description
A Medical Secretary works in a hospital or other medical facility and prepares reports, transcribes dictation for medical staff, obtains medical histories of patients, and processes insurance payments, among other duties.
Medical Secretary Job Description Sample
We are looking for an organized medical secretary to assist with administrative duties within our medical facility. The successful candidate for this position will handle patient schedules, answer phone calls and emails, and deliver outstanding customer service to patients. You may also be tasked with assisting with medical billing as necessary.
Medical Secretary Salary
A medical secretary earns between $26,000 and $53,000 per year. The median salary for this position is $39,000 per year.
Medical Secretary Required Soft Skills
- Computer literacy.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Highly organized.
- Friendly and customer service oriented.
- Helpful personality.
Medical Secretary Duties & Responsibilities
- Schedule, cancel, or reschedule appointments.
- Answer calls from labs, physicians, and patients.
- Ensure that all patients receive quality customer service at all times.
- Keep management updated on physician meetings, vacations, and schedule changes.
- Contact patients as needed and schedule overdue appointments.
- Remind patients of upcoming appointments or call to inform them of missed appointments.
- Assist with medical billing as required.
Medical Secretary Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a medical secretary or similar medical administration position.
- A degree from an approved medical administration program is an asset.
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template:
- Step 1: Replace the job title, job brief, duties and requirements, and optional work environment sections based on the information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double-check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Proofread the job description. Then post on a job board.
Job Description Format
Follow the format below when writing a job description.
For more information on writing a job description, visit this resource.
Top Job Boards
Consider posting a job description or job advertisement (referred to as a "job ad") on one of the following national job boards:
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..