Scrum Master Resume Example [2020 Updated]
Scrum Master resumes should contain references to previous work experiences showing your ability to direct a team of software engineers. Certifications for scrum masters can be especially impactful to include on the resume. Certifications like SAFe, CSM, Project Management certifications, and more.
As a Scrum Master, you'll be helping software engineers make decisions and provide them guidance and insights to be able to properly assess upcoming work, work in progress, and completed work. You may have to find a compromise with software engineers when there is indecision. Or make decisions that go against the group census.
Any prior work experiences showing yourself being within this type of dynamic can be especially impactful when crafting a scrum master resume. If you don't have any prior work experience as a Scrum Master, lean into your personal experiences managing software through agile methods in your cover letter or resume objective.
Soft Skills for Scrum Master Resumes
Soft skills are talents that are intangible. They are often described as personal characteristics. But in the setting of the workplace, these characteristics are developed through prior work knowledge. For example, having customer service skills.
Soft skills that Scrum Master's should focus on are those that show your ability to direct a team, your ability to make decisions, your ability to compromise with your team, and provide clear direction. This is considered advanced collaboration skills as well as project management skills.
Soft skills that all Scrum Master's should have are:
- Ability to direct a team.
- Direction giving skills.
- Active listening skills.
- Adaptive skills.
- Assessment skills.
- Analytical skills.
- Decision making skills.
- Verbal communication skills.
- Comprehension skills.
- Agile scrum skills.
Scrum Master Resume Objective & Resume Summary
Starting your resume with a resume objective or resume summary is one of the best ways to encapsulate your previous work history in a short statement. This allows your future employer and the resume reader to more quickly scan your resume and comprehend your work history in a short amount of time.
A resume objective for a Scrum Master should contain references to both personal and work achievements, references to pieces of software that you may have produced as part of your personal and professional career.
Here is an example of a Scrum Master resume objective that you can place beneath your contact information but before your previous work experience section.
2+ years in software engineering departments working closely with engineers. Comfortable meeting tight deadlines and finding ways that software engineers feel comfortable cutting corners if we need to. Certified Scrum Master.
Scrum Master Duties & Responsibilities For Your Resume
When listing previous work experiences, you might not be able to recall all of the duties that you performed while on the job. This may happen when your previous work experience as a Scrum Master was a few months ago or a few years ago.
Here are the general duties and responsibilities that you can list as part of the bullet points under each of your previous work experiences as a Scrum Master.
- Work closely with executive leadership and product leaders to comprehend upcoming work.
- Work closely with executive leadership to plan upcoming work for our software engineering department.
- Work closely with software engineers on a regular basis to assign sprints and assess the scope of work.
- Assess issues with the software engineers and deal with escalations and immediate needs of the business.
- Follow agile software methodology and track all work in project management systems.
- Continuously report on the progress of the software engineer department.
- Collaborate with other departments on upcoming work of the software engineering group.
- Practices scrum team best practices and educates team members on agile methodology alongside daily scrum meetings.
- Works closely with an agile project manager.
- Performs a sprint retrospective when two-week sprints are completed.
- Works closely with each product owner.
- Writes an agile manifesto for the company and developes an agile framework consistently.
- Works in kanban software tools and educates new team members of kanban.
- Goes through sprint planning sessions. Includes sprint planning with executives and sprint planning with engineers and designers.
- Grooms the product backlog and sprint backlog.
- Conducts a scrum meeting each week and creates scrum events for new employees to understand agile principles.
- Performs a sprint review at the end of each week or bi-week.
- Seeks continuous improvement of the agile team skills.
- Speaks with each project manager requently and evaluates work.
- Prioritized the project manager requests into sprints.
- Understands what continuous integration is and how to release product cycles based on it.
- Assesses the scrum framework and scrum ceremony effectiveness periodically.
- Understands all software agile practices and general scrum methodology.
Scrum Master Resume Example (Text Version)
Below is a sample resume for a Scrum Master position. In this example, this would be for a worker who has more experience to their name. Having the ability to speak to prior Scrum Master positions.
Scrum Master Resume Example (PDF)
Related Hiring ResourcesScrum Master Job Description
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..