Best Chief Operating Officer (COO) Job Description Sample (+ Free Template Download)
A chief operating officer (COO) is a senior executive that oversees the day-to-day administrative and operational functions within the organization. A chief operating officer reports directly to the chief executive officer (CEO). The chief operating officer oversees all operational aspects of the business, including human resources, employee policies, workplace policies, financial management, business administration, customer service operations, and legal department operations.
Chief Operating Officer Job Description Sample
Our company is seeking a chief operations officer to oversee our business operations. This executive will join our leadership team as a top executive within the company. As a member of the senior management team, the chief operating officer will assist with business strategy, oversee our human resources department, oversee daily operations, legal department, company culture, and the organization’s ongoing operations.
Chief Operating Officer Duties and Responsibilities
Sample job duties and chief operating officer responsibilities:
- Work closely with the other members of the senior management team to oversee business operations. These members include the chief executive officer, chief financial officer, and more.
- Assist with quarterly and annual strategic planning of the business.
- Oversee operations and how cash flow is being affected by inefficiencies and human resources.
- Work closely with each vice president and provide workplace guidance and training (workplace policies, company culture changes, and more).
- Oversee customer satisfaction and how that impacts our customer service channels and operations.
- Take on comprehensive goals from the chief executive officer and develop strategic operational plans to execute against those KPI’s.
Chief Operating Officer Requirements
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Marketing, or Communications.
- Previous experience in a chief operating officer position preferred.
- Previous experience as part of a senior leadership team preferred.
- Previous experience as an executive team member preferred.
- Diverse business operation experience preferred.
- Extensive experience with business operations.
- A strong track record of driving operational, sales, and customer satisfaction goals within a business.
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template
- Step 1: Replace the job duties and requirements based on information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Then post on a job board.
Top Job Boards
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..