How Many Internships Should I Apply To? The Answer Here
Wondering how many internships you should apply for? We’ve got the answer here. It’s not as complicated as you might think, as well.
Yes, it’s true, finding a job or an internship is absolutely a numbers game. It’s about how many you apply for, how many interviews you go on and how many offers you end up getting.
But what’s recommended is starting to think in a more targeted way when applying for internships.
Create A Target List
This is the most important thing you can do, create a target list of companies that are hiring summer interns. What makes them a “target” or ideal company to apply for is when you have a particular set of skills or experience that lined up with the company or industry. Do yourself a favor and spend some time thinking through what companies will get the most value of what you can offer.
Here’s what you’ll want to do:
- Start a spreadsheet
- Place all companies that are hiring interns into the sheet
- Filter or highlight the companies that you feel you can bring a strong or unique skill set to
- Apply in a general way to the rest of the non-targeted companies
- Apply to the targeted companies
- Then follow up with the targeted companies
It’s Not Just Quantity
The point here is that it’s not simply about quantity. If you truly want to land the internship, it will require you to spend time reaching out to the hiring manager and team members asking them if you can interview. Going the distance and telling them why you’ll make an exceptional intern will increase your chances of being hired by at least 50%.
How Many Should I Apply For
When thinking about your list of prospect companies, try to fill your sheet with at least 50 companies. This should be possible to do. Some will be less applicable to your career path than you might want. But that’s okay. Any experience is going to be a good experience for you.
If you can’t find 50 companies, consider finding at least 20 which are going to be closer to your targeted list of companies. Meaning, if you have a list of 20 companies inside your spreadsheet, ideally 10 of them are on your target list.
Anything less than that number will greatly decrease your chances. Remember, it’s a numbers game but also a game of how much effort you put forth. Having the target list will let you determine where to put your efforts.
- Learn how to accept an internship offer - How To Accept An Internship Offer (With Example Email)
- Learn how to send a "thank you" letter after your internship is complete - Best Internship Thank You Letter (And Email) To Use
- Learn how to create an internship cover letter - Best Internship Cover Letter Example (No Experience Required)
- How many internships should you apply for in order to land one? The answer - How Many Internships Should I Apply To? The Answer Here
- What's the difference between an externship and internship? The answer - Externship vs. Internship: What's The Difference?
- Learn how to politely and professionally decline an internship offer - How To Reject An Internship Offer Professionally & Politely (+ Examples)
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..