Best Controller Job Description Sample (+ Free Template Download)
A controller or financial controller is a professional responsible for overseeing and supervising the quality of accounting and financial reporting of a company or client. They oversee high-level accounting, managerial duties, and finance activities within a company.
A controller is sometimes referred to as a comptroller.
Controller Job Description Sample
Our company is seeking a controller and certified public accountant (CPA) to oversee and supervise the quality of accounting within our organization. The controller will manage and oversee the accounting team, the accounting department, and the accounting function (accounting operations) within the company. The position will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
Controller Duties and Responsibilities
Below are sample job duties and controller responsibilities.
- Oversee the financial management of the financial activities team (accounting team).
- Generate annual, quarterly, and weekly financial reports for senior management.
- Oversee the company's financial controls, financial operations, accounting principles, and accounting policies.
- Oversee and assist with financial planning and budgeting.
- Review all accounting records.
- Produce a financial statement for the business on a quarterly, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Provide assistance with internal control and compliance.
- rovide assistance with financial analysis.
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business Management, or Business Administration.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- Previous work experience as an external auditor, CPA, financial manager, corporate controller, assistant controller, financial controller, or other accounting position preferred.
- Must have experience with accounting software like Microsoft Excel.
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template:
- Step 1: Replace the job title, job brief, duties and requirements, and optional work environment sections based on the information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double-check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Proofread the job description. Then post on a job board.
Job Description Format
Follow the format below when writing a job description.
For more information on writing a job description, visit this resource.
Top Job Boards
Consider posting a job description or job advertisement (referred to as a "job ad") on one of the following national job boards:
Related Hiring ResourcesAssistant Controller Job Description Sample (+ Free Template)
Air Traffic Controller Cover Letter Sample
Air Traffic Controller Job Description
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..