Correctional Officer Job Description Sample
A correctional officer is a professional who helps ensure the safety of prison and jail populations. They are officers of the state who work within correctional facilities. Their primary objectives are to ensure the health, behavior, and safety of inmates. A major part of their work is working through rule violations and reporting on these rule violations.
Table Of Contents
- Correctional Officer Job Description Sample
- Correctional Officer Salary
- Correctional Officer Job Description For Resume
- Correctional Officer Skills
- Correctional Officer Duties & Responsibilities
- Correctional Officer Requirements
Correctional Officer Job Description Sample
We are seeking a Correctional Officer who can help perform security and custodial duties. Correctional Officers are active in the correctional facilitiy to help with offender movement, activities as assigned by the shift, the giving of direction and decision making as it relates to inmate policy and supervision. A great Correctional Officer is someone who maintains discipline, safety, sanitization and security of the facility.
Correctional Officer Salary
The national average salary is provided by The Bureau of Labor, which is a division of the U.S. Department of Labor. In 2018, the median pay for a Correctional Officer position in the U.S. was $17.25/hr on average.
Correctional Officer Job Description For Resume
5+ years as a state police officer. Has FOID card. Completed Police Academy scoring the best physical fit award in 2014. Comfortable in inmate security.
Correctional Officer Skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Counseling skills
- Transportation skills
- Security skills
- Risk management skills
- Precautionary skills
- People management skills
Correctional Officer Duties & Responsibilities
- Secure and plan inmate transportation when required.
- Report on and act when you see rule violations being had by the inmates.
- Control inmate security by ensuring there are is no verbal abuse, fights, or outbreaks.
- Keep a close eye over all sanitary needs as required by state law.
- Ensure that basic records are kept about inmate activity and security.
- Work with other officers to ensure daily process is made, including lunch and times in the recreational rooms.
- Be able to adhere to all state laws as appointed through training.
Correctional Officer Requirements
- High School diploma or GED required.
- State police training is required.
- Must have a valid state drivers license.
- Must be able to move up to 50 pound boxes.
- Must be able to carry a firearm (FOID card).
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Must be able to pass a written exam related to the work.
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template
- Step 1: Replace the job duties and requirements based on information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Then post on a job board.
Top Job Boards
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..