Camp Counselor Job Description Sample
When working as a camp counselor, you're responsible for the overall supervision of all campers in your group. It's your goal to provide an enjoyable, healthy, and safe camp experience and environment for all campers. Successful camp counselors often are creative planners, have strong leadership skills, and love implementing activities and programs for campers.
Table of Contents
- Camp Counselor Job Description Sample
- Camp Counselor Salary
- Camp Counselor Job Description For Resume
- Camp Counselor Skills
- Camp Counselor Duties & Responsibilities
- Camp Counselor Requirements
Camp Counselor Job Description Sample
Here’s an example of a good Camp Counselor job description:
Our company is looking for an attentive and enthusiastic camp counselor for leading, motivating, and supporting campers as they enjoy everything our camp is offering. The camp counselor will help lead group events, plan events, respond to incidents, monitor campers, log events, and maintain records relating to all activities. Camp counselors also discuss camper concerns and participation with camp staff members and parents. You should be proactive, positive, and caring while focusing on providing a fun and safe experience at camp. Every successful camp counselor is decisive, responsible, and upbeat. You should also possess strong leadership skills and be organized.
Camp Counselor Salary
According to PayScale, the national average wage for camp counselors is $20,000.00 annually. That equates to $9.49 per hour. Those who have less than one year of experience typically make $8.83 per hour. However, those with five years of experience or more usually earn $10.17 per hour.
Camp Counselor Job Description For Resume
A Camp Counselor position may have a description similar to this one in an executive summary, professional summary, or resume:
I worked with over four hundred campers ranging from seven to sixteen years old. My job was to communicate, encourage, and support campers, which resulted in the counselor of the year award. I collaborated with twelve other counselors for two months. We motivated each other, helped each other excel and created the best experience for our campers. Each week, I handled different sets of ten kids for eight weeks. I worked alongside two other camp counselors to inspire fun activities and keep campers safe.
Camp Counselor Skills
In this section, you’re outlining the skills you want for every candidate applying for your camp counselor position. That way, there’s no question regarding their qualifications.
- Has experience working with children, in camps, or specific activities.
- May be required to be first aid and CPR trained.
- Physically able to lift, climb, run, swim, participate in activities, or support a child's weight.
- High level of accountability and responsibility.
- Engaging and upbeat personality.
- Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.
Camp Counselor Duties & Responsibilities
Use this section for diving deep into the role of the camp counselor, what your expectations are, and what you want them to do.
Here’s an example of a Camp Counselor’s duties and responsibilities:
- Coordinate and plan camp events in cooperation with other camp staff members.
- Support and lead campers while they're participating in age-appropriate activities.
- Monitor campers to ensure they're complying with camp policies and rules to prevent accidents and injuries.
- Maintaining and cleaning while ensuring proper use of camp equipment and facilities.
- Recording and reporting of incidents, including rule violations and accidents, to camp staff and parents.
- Enforcing camp rules and memorizing all emergency protocols.
- Staff meeting participation.
Camp Counselor Requirements
Here, you’re fine-tuning what your company’s expectations and qualifications are for every camp counselor. That way, nothing is unclear during the application process.
- Will pass a background check.
- Has proof of immunizations.
- Is actively enrolled in school, or has high school diploma or equivalent.
- Mediate conflicts that may arise within your group.
- Demonstrated conflict mediation skills.
- Delegate chores to maintain facilities.
- Facilitate group activities during free periods to keep campers engaged and active.
- Manage transitions to ensure timely arrival of all campers during daily schedule.
- Can participate in strenuous activities.
Camp Counselor Resources
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template
- Step 1: Replace the job duties and requirements based on information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Then post on a job board.
Top Job Boards
Related Hiring ResourcesCamp Counselor Cover Letter Sample
5+ Best Camp Counselor Interview Questions & Answers
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..