IT Manager Job Description: Salary, Duties, Skills
Working as an IT manager within a company means you'll ultimately be responsible for identifying and bringing forth technology infrastructures and solutions to help propel the business forward. IT managers stay busy with a wide variety of tasks daily. However, the most effective managers stay focused on essential business indicators. These technical experts work as liaisons between the technical side and the business side of the organization. That way, they can identify needs, communicate findings, and make recommendations. IT managers are expected to advise companies regarding technology, as well as how it can help improve performance. Then, it's their responsibility to oversee the design, development, and implementation of the new system.
Table Of Contents
IT Manager Job Description Sample
Here’s an example of a good IT Manager job description:
Our company is in search of a motivated and experienced IT manager. They'll be responsible for ensuring that the equipment and computing systems are operating efficiently and effectively. Successful candidates in this role can demonstrate detailed knowledge regarding the industry's best practices. They can also provide evidence of a professional track record of information analysis and technical management. Candidates should also thoroughly understand software systems and computer hardware.
IT Manager Salary
According to data collected in 2017 by U.S. News & World Report about the average national salary for IT managers, they were earning $139,220.00 annually that year. The top 25% of IT managers were earning $175,890.00 per year, while the lowest 25% earned $107,740.00 annually.
IT Manager Job Description For Resume
An IT Manager position may have a description similar to this one in an executive summary, professional summary, or resume:
I'm a competent and professional IT manager with over five years of experience in expanding and maintaining cross-functional delivery teams. I also worked as a liaison with the technology team and executives. I introduced new ML and AI initiatives, which increased the company's client demand and reduced the project completion time dramatically.
IT Manager Skills
Skills are essential for any career, but they play a pivotal role in working as an IT manager. In this section, you’re detailing how the candidate’s skills will complement their position, as well as how they’ll impact the company.
- Has proven skills in leadership.
- Strong analytical and creative thinking skills.
- Possesses professional certifications.
- Has time-management skills, multi-tasking skills, and can prioritize task efficiently.
- Is detail-oriented and highly organized.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Experience with network administration, network installation, and computer networks.
- roficient in Microsoft Windows, including Exchange, Office, and Server.
IT Manager Duties & Responsibilities
Working as an IT manager required a high-level of accuracy, attention to detail, and organizational skills. Therefore, in this section, you’re marking up all the requirements you expect them to fulfill regarding their job duties and responsibilities.
- Analyzes department needs.
- Identifies vulnerabilities.
- Boosts productivity.
- Ensures network components work together and meet needs.
- Continuously analyzes current technologies, processes, and vendors.
- Identifies areas for improvement.
- When upgrades are necessary, prepares cost analysis reports.
- Trains employees on hardware and software.
- Develops and executes disaster protocols.
- Maintains data backups.
IT Manager Requirements
In this section, you’re diving a bit deeper into the expectations you have for the IT manager you’re hiring. Therefore, you must get into detail regarding the requirements you have for this position. These could include educational background, certifications, and so on.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or technology.
- At least five years or more of experience in IT management.
- Knowledge of or experience with programming languages and operating systems.
- Expertise with configuring, implementing, and testing solutions.
- Proven experience managing IT services and infrastructure.
- Proficiency in cabling installation, support, IT security, and wireless technology interfaces and applications.
Phone Interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..