Material Handler Job Description Sample
Working as a material handler means you're in charge of managing, moving, and storing hazardous or non-hazardous materials. Sometimes referred to in other job descriptions as warehouse associates, these workers document deliveries, monitor supplies, and move stock. While formal education isn't a requirement for this position, workers do require on-the-job training.
Table Of Contents
Material Handler Job Description Sample
Here’s an example of a good Material Handler job description:
Our facility is searching for a professional and self-motivated material handler to join or warehouse team. If you're hardworking and can complete tasks with little to no supervision successfully, then we'd love to talk to you. In this position, you'll be responsible for documenting orders, storing merchandise, and tracking warehouse stock. In addition to having excellent verbal and written communication skills, ideal candidates must also possess excellent physical fitness. You'll also have an in-depth knowledge of various warehouse equipment and machinery, including booms, cranes, and forklifts.
Material Handler Salary
According to information gathered by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which is provided the United States Department of Labor, the most recent data is in 2018 regarding the national average salary for a material handler. That year, material handlers earned median pay of $27,270.00 per year. That equates to $13.11 hourly.
Material Handler Job Description For Resume
A Material Handler position may have a description similar to this one in an executive summary, professional summary, or resume:
I have more than seven years of experience as a material handler. I'm seeking to obtain a position in an organization that will allow for continuous learning, growth, and development. I also worked as an adaptable distribution clerk with extensive material handling experience. My focus was on cost reduction and process improvement.
Material Handler Skills
Because working as a material handler requires a variety of skills, sometimes being vague in the job description allows you to cover a blanket set of criteria. For example, you’re looking for candidates who can stay on-task, manage their time, and are organized. These are all the things you can train them to do, or they can come into the position with experience from previous roles.
- The ability to multi-task while staying organized.
- Have excellent hand-to-eye coordination.
- Have outstanding time-management skills.
- Have excellent attention to detail.
- Is safety-oriented and spreads that message to team members.
- Practices physical fitness.
Material Handler Duties & Responsibilities
In this section of your job description, you’re outlining the duties and responsibilities you want your material handler candidate to have. Here’s where you can also get into detail regarding your expectations for whoever will fill this role.
- Loading and unloading inventory from delivery trucks, production areas, loading docks, and storage areas.
- Ensuring all incoming deliveries matches the company's purchase orders.
- Stores cargo in the assigned locations using pallets and cargo boards.
- Manages inventory by cataloging, identifying, and recording the inventory's location.
- Records the number of units moved and handled daily using production sheets.
- Operates various machinery including booms, forklifts, cranes, and cameras to manage inventory and material.
- Analyzes pick sheets based on orders by clients and then pulls appropriate products for every order.
- Contacts vendors regarding returns and pick-ups.
- Complies with all health and safety regulations.
Material Handler Requirements
In this section, you’re diving deeper into the requirements of the material handler position. That means if you have requirements for lifting, certifications, and so on, they must go here.
- Must have earned their a high school diploma or the equivalency.
- Possess at least two years' experience working in a similar role.
- OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration) forklift certification is a plus.
- Can lift at least 100 pounds and has excellent physical fitness.
- Can work overtime including evenings, weekends, and public holidays.
- Outstanding communication and organizational skills.
Using This Material Handler Job Description Template
In order to use your new material handler job description template, follow the instructions below.
- Step one: Copy and paste all sections into a new Word Document (Job Description Sample, Duties, Skills, and Requirements).
- Step two: Customize your requirements or duties to anything special to your environment. Be sure that you meet with either executive staff members or team members to qualify what requirements need to be met.
- Step three: When posting your job online, be sure to include an average salary range as this can help to prevent applicants who don't meet your criteria. Salary ranges are provided in each template.
- Step four: Before posting your job, be sure to check with your team and ensure all descriptions, duties, and requirements are accurate. This will save you from potential miscommunications during the interview process.
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..