System Administrator Job Description Sample
It isn't uncommon to see other job descriptions listing a systems administrator as a SysAdmin. When working in this role, you're responsible for the setup and maintenance of a computer system. It's also your responsibility to ensure all the computers in the network for the company, particularly the server, are running securely and smoothly.
Table of Contents
- System Administrator Job Description Sample
- System Administrator Salary
- System Administrator Job Description For Resume
- System Administrator Skills
- System Administrator Duties & Responsibilities
- System Administrator Requirements
System Administrator Job Description Sample
Here’s an example of a good System Administrator job description:
Our organization is seeking a diligent and talented system administrator to administer and maintain our business's networked system of computers. When working in this role, you'll be responsible for ensuring all the computing operations are running with optimal security and performance. It's also your responsibility to troubleshoot network issues, hardware, and software. Successful candidates are excellent problem-solvers while using their in-depth understanding of computing solutions and information systems. The best candidates are also willing to manage all support questions professionally and are team players.
System Administrator Salary
U.S. News & World Report collected data regarding the national average salary, as well as the median income for a systems administrator's 2017 income. According to this data, a system administrator's median wage was earning $81,100.00 during that year. Those working in the top 25% were earning $104,460.00 on average that year. The lowest 25% working as a system administrator that year were earning $63,020.00.
System Administrator Job Description For Resume
A System Administrator position may have a description similar to this one in an executive summary, professional summary, or resume:
A Cisco and Microsoft certified system administrator with over five years of experience in healthcare IT environments. Managed networking and large-scale firewalls, extremely proficient with AWS, SonicWall, and VMware. Deep passion for security management.
System Administrator Skills
In this section, you’re drilling down the skills and qualifications each system administration candidate must have before applying. This section should include not only the technical skills you expect but also interpersonal ones as well.
- Must have a technical mind.
- Superior problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Optimal attention to detail.
- Expert knowledge of computer systems.
- High level of enthusiasm.
- Uses easy-to-understand terms when describing technical information.
System Administrator Duties & Responsibilities
System administrators have a wide range of duties and responsibilities, so you must make sure you’re covering them in great detail in this section. Be sure to highlight what the job will entail, describe critical points of the role, and how they’ll be fulfilling the position.
- Configures and maintains networked computer systems, including applications, system hardware, and software.
- Ensures data is backed up and stored securely.
- Diagnoses and resolves system, networking, software, and hardware issues as they occur.
- Replaces and upgrades outdated or defective components as needed.
- Monitors system performance to ensure everything is running securely and smoothly.
- Plans the company's system needs when appropriate.
- Installs new systems when required.
- Works as a liaison with the website hosting company as needed.
- Applies updates and patches.
- Plans security measures.
- Implements security measures.
- Provides the company with education regarding system security.
- Researches and recommends new approaches for improving the networked computer system.
- Provides technical support upon request.
- Documents any process that employees must follow to work successfully within the company's computing system.
System Administrator Requirements
Use this section to further break down the system administrator's role within your company. That way, candidates understand your expectations regarding education, certifications, background, and experience.
- Must possess a relevant degree in IT or Information Systems.
- Certification in MCSE or similar.
- Previous experience administering networked computing systems and server-side technology.
- Familiarity with database operations and SQL.
- Can meet critical deadlines while prioritizing a wide range of workloads.
- Have availability outside of working hours for resolving emergency issues immediately.
- Professional and patient demeanor.
- Has a "can-do" attitude.
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template
- Step 1: Replace the job duties and requirements based on information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Then post on a job board.
Top Job Boards
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..