Chief of Staff Job Description Sample
The Chief of Staff position can be found in a variety of places. From The White House (politics and government) to larger-sized companies who need executive assistants who have previous leadership skills. The Chief of Staff position is encompassed by someone who can be a dynamic key problem-solver. It is vital this person has previous leadership experience as they'll be the second form of executive leadership. For example, a CEO might hire a Chief of Staff to help out with CEO type duties.
Table Of Contents
Chief of Staff Job Description Sample
Here’s an example of a good Chief of Staff job description:
We are seeking a Chief of Staff to the GM to help be responsible for assisting the GM in driving the long-term strategy of the business. Working as a Chief of Staff member your role will be widely dependent on the active needs of the business on a daily basis. From helping to manage business performance to ensure that key problems within the business are being addressed. You will be a flexible key player that can be mobile within the organization. You will report directly to the GM and the CEO.
Chief of Staff Salary
The Chief of Staff position has a wide variety of salary averages. Information from PayScale tells us that on the low end, someone in this position could earn roughly $50,000 a year on average. While on the high end, for example, if you are working directly alongside a CEO, might earn somewhere in the $160,000 annual salary range.
Chief of Staff Job Description For Resume
A Chief of Staff position may have a description similar to this one in an executive summary, professional summary, or resume:
Previous leadership experience. Was CEO of a 40 person company. I was able to handle investor relations, guidance, business reporting and generally played a multidisciplinary role within the company to ensure its overall success. From working with project managers to sales teams. I was an integral part of the companies success and find the Chief of Staff position to be applicable to me.
Chief of Staff Skills
In this section, you’re detailing the skills and qualifications you’re expecting from every candidate applying for this position.
- Leadership skills
- Listening skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Human resource skills
- Strategic management skills
- Operational skills
- Executive support skills
- Strategic planning skills
Chief of Staff Duties & Responsibilities
Potential candidates working as a Chief of Staff for your organization must know their duties and responsibilities before applying for the position. Indicate what their role will be comprised of, as well as your expectations here.
- Manage a daily and monthly rhythm to the work as part of the executive leadership focus.
- Support all recruiting efforts and bring motivation to the human-resource departments.
- Be able to effectively cope and maintain focus when the organization changes quickly.
- Ability to independently multi-task and provide leadership to departments when unprompted.
- Manage executive leadership business metrics such as OKR's, KPI's and many more.
- Support ongoing strategic planning efforts that are in focus for the executive leadership team at the time.
- Support all verbal queues as it relates to work ethic, company focus, methods, morals and much more.
- Help the executive staff members stay organized and on track by providing key insights and work.
Chief of Staff Requirements
Use this area for highlighting the educational background, certifications, and other skills you require for every candidate applying for this position.
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Business, Finance preferred.
- 3-5 years in a senior management role preferred.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership.
- Ability to demonstrate the knowledge of how larger companies are managed.
- A keen understanding of how to move business metrics and increase revenue/sales.
- Ability to demonstrate knowing when problems will arise before they present themselves.
- Ability to organize, plan and assist in all leadership duties for your report to.
- Must have a valid state drivers license, must be able to pass a background check and drug test if required.
Using This Chief Of Staff Job Description Template
In order to use your new chief of staff job description template, follow the instructions below.
- Step one: Copy and paste all sections into a new Word Document (Job Description Sample, Duties, Skills, and Requirements).
- Step two: Customize your requirements or duties to anything special to your environment. Be sure that you meet with either executive staff members or team members to qualify what requirements need to be met.
- Step three: When posting your job online, be sure to include an average salary range as this can help to prevent applicants who don't meet your criteria. Salary ranges are provided in each template.
- Step four: Before posting your job, be sure to check with your team and ensure all descriptions, duties, and requirements are accurate. This will save you from potential miscommunications during the interview process.
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..