Legal Assistant Job Description Sample
A legal assistant is another name for a paralegal. They are someone who works closely with attorneys to help assist them with the day to day operations. This could mean performing critical research to communicating with clients. The legal assistant plays a pivotal role in the success of the law firm. They provide assistance during trial procedures and discovery sessions.
Table of Contents
- Legal Assistant Job Description Sample
- Legal Assistant Salary
- Legal Assistant Job Description For Resume
- Legal Assistant Skills
- Legal Assistant Duties & Responsibilities
- Legal Assistant Requirements
Legal Assistant Job Description Sample
Here’s an example of a good Legal Assistant job description:
Our law firm is seeking a passionate legal assistant to who can help our attorneys. Legal assistants play a key role in the operations of the law firm. From helping our attorneys with impactful research related to our client's needs. To ensuring that documents are scanned, copied, signed and sent over to all legal parties (including clients). There are a number of daily tasks that need to be performed by the legal assistant, all of which are insightful in developing your experience as a future attorney.
Legal Assistant Salary
Legal Assistants, according to PayScale, earn approximately $16 per hour on average. That comes out to being roughly $26,200 on the low end (for those not paid that much per hour) to $60,100 for those who are paid on the higher side per hour which averages out to be about $24.60.
Legal Assistant Job Description For Resume
A Legal Assistant position may have a description similar to this one in an executive summary, professional summary, or resume:
3+ years as a paralegal. Comfortable with many types of law, including real estate and criminal justice. Comfortable performing research on my own, speaking with clients, providing guidance to clients and overall ensuring that all materials required for trials are prepped and ready for attorneys.
Legal Assistant Skills
In this section, you’re detailing the skills and qualifications you’re expecting from every candidate applying for this position.
- Legal skills
- Listening skills
- Reading skills
- Writing skills
- Comprehension skills
- Coordination skills
- Planning skills
Legal Assistant Duties & Responsibilities
Potential candidates working as a Legal Assistant for your organization must know their duties and responsibilities before applying for the position. Indicate what their role will be comprised of, as well as your expectations here.
- Be able to help screen prospective clients and help us go through discovery sessions as to what the client is requesting.
- Draft an initial pleadings or legal documents which are applicable to the case that we are currently working on.
- Work with clients to gather all financial information, previous legal documents and full discovery of all legal materials.
- Draft legal documents of all kinds, including responses to legal requests as well as discovery requests.
- Assist with all trial preparation when needed.
- Draft any final pleadings or real estate property transfer documents that are in accordance to cases.
- Be able to assist the lead attorneys on all matters related to a case.
Legal Assistant Requirements
Use this area for highlighting the educational background, certifications, and other skills you require for every candidate applying for this position.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Must have at least 3+ years in assisting an attorney.
- Must have excellent attention to detail and ability to follow standard procedures.
- Incoming phone call management skills are an absolute plus.
- Be able to demonstrate your knowledge of internet research and formal research.
- Comprehensive knowledge of various law types, including Personal Injury Law a plus.
- Self-starter with great time management skills.
Additional Legal Assistant Resources
Using Your Template
Follow these instructions to use your new job description template
- Step one: Fill out all details in your job description template using the provided sample on this page.
- Step two: Customize your requirements or duties to anything special to your workplace. Be sure to speak with team members and managers to gauge what's required of the position.
- Step three: When the census of the team has agreed on the description of the work, add in a Equal Employment Opportunity statement to the bottom of your job description.
- Step four: Check with your legal department, management team, and other team members to ensure the job description looks correct before creating a job advertisement. Choose a job board that's specific to your needs.
Related Hiring ResourcesLegal Assistant Resume Example
5+ Best Legal Assistant Interview Questions & Answers
Legal Assistant Cover Letter Sample
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..