School Counselor Job Description Sample
A school counselor is someone who is staffed as a full-time member of faculty, designed to help students achieve their academic goals. A school counselor may sometimes help out with personal, social and sports-related goals as well. They can be found in a variety of grade levels, from K-12. They are professionals who have a keen ability in being able to listen, guide and respond to queues of the student.
Table of Contents
- School Counselor Job Description Sample
- School Counselor Salary
- School Counselor Job Description For Resume
- School Counselor Skills
- School Counselor Duties & Responsibilities
- School Counselor Requirements
School Counselor Job Description Sample
Here’s an example of a good School Counselor job description:
We are seeking a passionate school counselor who can join our faculty and play a pivotal role in youth development. A great school counselor is someone who has a passion for wanting to see children succeed, has great listening skills and can think creatively about ways to help a child achieve their personal and educational goals.
School Counselor Salary
A school counselor salary and pay looks roughly like the following:
- For those who are highly experienced: $72,000 annually
- For those with a median amount of experience: $50,200 annually
- Fore those who are entry-level: $37,200 annually
School Counselor Job Description For Resume
A School Counselor position may have a description similar to this one in an executive summary, professional summary, or resume:
Previous experience working in child development. Comfortable listening to students' needs and assessing a plan that may be able to help them progress forward. Comfortable in establishing this commitment with the student and following up on assessment.
School Counselor Skills
In this section, you’re detailing the skills and qualifications you’re expecting from every candidate applying for this position.
- Assessment skills
- Planning skills
- Goal-setting skills
- Listening skills
- Counseling skills
- Computer skills
- Creative thinking skills
School Counselor Duties & Responsibilities
Potential candidates working as a School Counselor for your organization must know their duties and responsibilities before applying for the position. Indicate what their role will be comprised of, as well as your expectations here.
- Communicate with students on a regular basis and find where they may be feeling particular obstacles.
- Create assessment plans and evaluate area's where a student has a strength (KSAOs).
- Learn how to identify better social habits within the school environment and provide that guidance to students.
- Value and respond to all questions and goals related to modern-diversity and personal needs.
- Analyze student behaviors and find area's where social interactions can be improved.
- Assist in the guidance of our group or personalized guidance counseling sessions.
- Develop personal goal setting plans and set higher standards for a student.
School Counselor Requirements
Use this area for highlighting the educational background, certifications, and other skills you require for every candidate applying for this position.
- Bachelor's Degree in Education preferred.
- Masters in Counseling or similar is preferred.
- Ability to engage and connect with students of all age groups.
- Ability to collect and analyze personal performance and goal related data.
- Ability to show computer literacy and how computers can help achieve personal goals.
- Advocate for betterment on the student body.
- Ability to show up with integrity, honesty and professionalism on a daily basis.
Additional School Counselor Resources
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template:
- Step 1: Replace the job title, job brief, duties and requirements, and optional work environment sections based on the information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double-check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Proofread the job description. Then post on a job board.
Job Description Format
Follow the format below when writing a job description.
For more information on writing a job description, visit this resource.
Top Job Boards
Consider posting a job description or job advertisement (referred to as a "job ad") on one of the following national job boards:
Related Hiring ResourcesSchool Counselor Cover Letter
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..