Optician Job Description Sample
An optician is a person who fills the order for prescription glasses and contacts. They meet with the person to make sure the contacts or glasses fit them properly after they have obtained a prescription of either an optometrist or an ophthalmologist. They also help people in choosing the type, shape, and style of eyeglass frames, as well as the style and type of contact lenses they would like. They also educate those who are new to glasses and contacts in the proper care and maintenance of their corrective eyewear.
Table Of Contents
Optician Job Description Sample
Here’s an example of a good Optician job description:
Opticians must adapt lenses and frames according to the specifications from an optometrist or an ophthalmologist. They must also design and measure the lenses and fit the lenses to the person. They also assist people with the selection of frames. As for contact lenses, they educate the person on how to properly insert, remove, and care for the contact lenses, as well as what type of lenses would be best for that person.
A Optician salary and pay looks roughly like the following:
The national average salary for an optician is provided by Salary.com. A national average is a total average salary regardless of geographic region and is what can be expected upon entering the career of ophthalmology. The base salary for an optician ranges from nearly $43,000 to almost $56,000, with an average salary being a little over $46,000. The salary that an optician can expect will vary by region, state, and city. The average salary for an optician in San Francisco is $58,000, the average salary for an ophthalmologist in Topeka, Kansas is nearly $44,000 a year.
Optician Job Description For Resume
A Optician position may have a description similar to this one in an executive summary, professional summary, or resume.
A resume is a must in any profession. It provides a potential employer a snapshot of education, skills, professional development, and experience, which helps to determine if the potential employee is a good fit for what they need. A resume for a Optician should require:
- High school graduation.
- If they have an Associate’s degree, where it was obtained and major.
- Skills, such as making effective decisions, exceptional customer service, etc.
- If they are licensed.
- Work experience and duties performed.
In this section, you’re detailing the skills and qualifications you’re expecting from every candidate applying for this position.
- Ability to work with the public.
- Problem-solving and decision making.
- Sales skills.
- Interpreting information.
- Communication skills.
- Ability to learn how to use equipment.
- Manual dexterity and patience.
Optician Duties & Responsibilities
Potential candidates working as a Optician for your organization must know their duties and responsibilities before applying for the position. Indicate what their role will be comprised of, as well as your expectations here.
- Measuring the eyes for corneal width and thickness to choose the right lens.
- Interpreting prescriptions provided by an optometrist or an ophthalmologist.
- Educating people on the proper care of their contact lenses or eyeglasses.
- Keeping track of inventory and prescriptions.
- Ordering supplies as needed.
Use this area for highlighting the educational background, certifications, and other skills you require for every candidate applying for this position.
To become an optician, a person must have a high school diploma or a GED. There are some employers who will provide training on the job as well as completing an apprenticeship. Aside from learning how to measure eyes and adjusting the frames of the glasses, an optician in training also learns office management and sales skills. Many opticians have an associates’ degree or a certificate in opticianry. It is best that the program a person goes through to become an optician has been accredited by the Commission on Opticianry. Half of the states require opticians to obtain a license, which must be renewed every one to three years.
Using This Optician Job Description Template
In order to use your new optician job description template, follow the instructions below.
- Step one: Copy and paste all sections into a new Word Document (Job Description Sample, Duties, Skills, and Requirements).
- Step two: Customize your requirements or duties to anything special to your environment. Be sure that you meet with either executive staff members or team members to qualify what requirements need to be met.
- Step three: When posting your job online, be sure to include an average salary range as this can help to prevent applicants who don't meet your criteria. Salary ranges are provided in each template.
- Step four: Before posting your job, be sure to check with your team and ensure all descriptions, duties, and requirements are accurate. This will save you from potential miscommunications during the interview process.
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..