Mechanical Engineer Job Description Sample
When you're working as a mechanical engineer, that means you're responsible for designing, evaluating, and manufacturing mechanical devices. These devices include heating and cooling systems, industrial machinery, robotics, tools, and transportation systems. You'll also find that mechanical engineers are responsible for designing other machines inside buildings, including escalators and elevators.
Mechanical Engineers are also responsible for material-handling systems, including automated transfer stations and conveyor systems. Like other engineers, you'll see mechanical engineers using computers extensively for creating and analyzing designs, running simulations, testing how machines will run, and generating part specifications.
Table of Contents
- Mechanical Engineer Job Description Sample
- Mechanical Engineer Salary
- Mechanical Engineer Job Description For The Resume (Resume Summary)
- Mechanical Engineer Skills
- Mechanical Engineer Duties & Responsibilities
- Mechanical Engineer Requirements
Mechanical Engineer Job Description Sample
Our organization is in search of a skilled and motivated mechanical engineer to join our growing team of professionals. Your responsibilities will include working on all stages of our production cycles. That means everything from researching and designing to the manufacturing, installation, and evaluation process. Successful candidates must be incredibly creative individuals who can develop innovative solutions regarding our clients' needs. A top candidate can concisely communicate, both verbally and visually.
Mechanical Engineer Salary
According to data collected in 2019 by PayScale, the national average salary for a mechanical engineer is $69,960.00 per year. That equates to a median wage of $27.15 per hour. An entry-level mechanical engineer with less than one year of experience can expect an income of at least $62,000.00 per year. Those who have been working as a mechanical engineer for at least twenty years or longer are reporting salaries of $100,000.00 or higher.
Mechanical Engineer Job Description For The Resume (Resume Summary)
A graduate mechanical engineer who can provide creative insight and detailed analysis for the development of engineering projects. Skilled in using computer-aided software for creating 2D and 3D models. I have a strong background in mechanical concepts, including FEA and GD&T. Familiar with production concepts and manufacturing processes, including JIT and lean manufacturing.
Mechanical Engineer Skills
Most mechanical engineers have an interest in building, organizing, and thinking. That means their "soft" skills will focus around working with tools, machines, researching, investigating, and keeping things orderly.
- Can paraphrase and clarify information.
- Uses inductive and deductive reasoning.
- Is incredibly organized and has impeccable time-management skills.
- Has experience with strategic planning.
- Exceptional judgment skills.
- Is an excellent team player and also works well independently.
- Can remain calm and work well under pressure.
- Willing to take on new challenges and is proactive.
Mechanical Engineer Duties & Responsibilities
The roles of a mechanical engineer will vary according to the needs of the organization. So, it isn’t uncommon to see this section change. However, some specific duties and responsibilities that remain constant.
- Designs, manufactures, and installs components for fulfilling requirements.
- Analyzes deficiencies or problems and develops solutions for resolving them.
- Conducts evaluations or experiments for innovating and improving product designs.
- Creates plans and designs using CAD technology.
- Estimates the project's budget and time scope.
- Writes a machine operator's technical documentation.
- Ensures all products are meeting compliance regulations.
- Collaborates with project managers, as well as other members of the engineering team.
Mechanical Engineer Requirements
If mechanical engineers are offering services directly to the public, then every state in the country and the District of Columbia requires licensure. That licensure designates mechanical engineers as PEs (professional engineers).
- Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering (a Master's might be preferred for research purposes).
- Professional licensing as an engineer.
- Proven experience working in the field as a mechanical engineer.
- Exceptional computer skills, with expertise in programs, including CAD, CAM, and Matlab/LabView.
- Can run simulations and analyze data from tests.
- Can write comprehensive and concise technical documentation.
- Extraordinary analytical mind with superb attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
Mechanical Engineer Resources
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template
- Step 1: Replace the job duties and requirements based on information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Then post on a job board.
Top Job Boards
Related Hiring ResourcesMechanical Engineer Resume Example
15+ Mechanical Engineering Skills for the Resume
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..