Systems Administrator Job Description: Salary, Duties, Skills
A systems administrator is a professional who works as part of the IT department within a business or organization. The systems administrator helps to ensure that all team has the tools required to do their jobs. This includes mitigating any risks of systems crashing, backing up all data, handling network issues, and much more.
Table Of Contents
Systems Administrator Job Description Sample
Here’s an example of a good Systems Administrator job description:
We are seeking a talented systems administrator to join our IT team of professionals. The systems administrator will help to ensure that there are continuous upgrades, security patches, stabilizations and general maintenance that occurs for our network. The systems administraor will provide both on-site and remote guidance during IT incidents.
Systems Administrator Salary
A Systems Administrator salary and pay looks roughly like the following:
A systems administrator, in the US, receives a median average annual salary of about $73,000. On the lower end of the spectrum, a systems administrator who doesn't have as much experience may receive closer to $56,000 in average salary.
Systems Administrator Job Description For Resume
A Systems Administrator position may have a description similar to this one in an executive summary, professional summary, or resume:
Previous experience in IT Departments. Comfortable handling IT incident tickets both remotely and on-site. Comfortable mitigating security and network risks.
Systems Administrator Skills
In this section, you’re detailing what skill requirements you have for the candidate’s role as a Systems Administrator. These skills have more to do with how they’ll perform on the job, as well as other skills that will support their position.
- Computer networking skills.
- IT skills.
- Computer skills.
- Risk prevention skills.
- Customer support skills.
- Time management skills.
Systems Administrator Duties & Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities will change from company to company. However, you must be including the core details regarding this position in this section. That way, there’s no confusion regarding the candidate’s expectations.
- Be responsible for the configuration and maintenance of all functional IT networks.
- Implement and maintain IT network security standards as part of our standard protocol.
- Self-manage your time and meet deadlines in accordance to your work at hand.
- Maintain and support WiFi implementations and mobile computer needs.
- Support all computer LAN/WAN performance and security of those networks.
- Be a customer support agent and respond to IT department incidents and tickets.
Systems Administrator Requirements
Use this section for diving further into detail regarding the requirements you have for this job regarding education, certifications, and other experience. If you have specific computer or software background requirements, list them here as well.
- Bachelor's Degree in IT or technical training.
- Minimum of 4 years working in a broad base of technologies and demonstrating your ability to handle responsibility.
- Strong problem solving skills are required. Strong analytical skills are a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of networking and IT fundamentals, design and troubleshooting.
- Must have the ability to pass a background test and drug test.
- Must have a valid state drivers license.
Using This Systems Administrator Job Description Template
In order to use your new systems administrator job description template, follow the instructions below.
- Step one: Copy and paste all sections into a new Word Document (Job Description Sample, Duties, Skills, and Requirements).
- Step two: Customize your requirements or duties to anything special to your environment. Be sure that you meet with either executive staff members or team members to qualify what requirements need to be met.
- Step three: When posting your job online, be sure to include an average salary range as this can help to prevent applicants who don't meet your criteria. Salary ranges are provided in each template.
- Step four: Before posting your job, be sure to check with your team and ensure all descriptions, duties, and requirements are accurate. This will save you from potential miscommunications during the interview process.
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..