Dental Hygienist Job Description Sample
For individuals who have an interest in discovering a rewarding career as a dental hygienist, you have an exciting future ahead. Your responsibilities will include performing tasks in a dental office. These tasks will consist of checking patients for gingivitis and other oral issues, cleaning teeth, completing preventative care, and talking to patients regarding improving their oral health.
Table of Contents
- Dental Hygienist Job Description Sample
- Dental Hygienist Salary
- Dental Hygienist Job Description For The Resume (Resume Summary)
- Dental Hygienist Skills
- Dental Hygienist Duties & Responsibilities
- Dental Hygienist Requirements
Dental Hygienist Job Description Sample
Our growing dental practice’s office is in search of a personable, responsible, and professional dental hygienist to add to our team. Your responsibilities will include operating the x-ray machines and assisting the dentist with various procedures. Successful candidates must have a current state hygiene license, previous experience working as a dental hygienist, and up-to-date vaccinations.
Dental Hygienist Salary
According to data collected by U.S. News and World Report in 2017, the salary potential for a dental hygienist is promising. The average national salary for that year was $70,070.00. Those earning in the top 75% saw wages of $88,820.00. Those earning in the bottom 25% saw wages of $61,230.00 during that year.
Dental Hygienist Job Description For The Resume (Resume Summary)
A professional and adaptable licensed dental hygienist with over ten years of experience restoring and promoting oral health. Conscientious and sympathetic with a proven record of professional and safe practice. Adept and providing concise explanations for unpleasant procedures and minimizing discomfort for pediatric patients. I can multitask accurately and effectively in coordination with dental assistants, dentists, and other staff.
Dental Hygienist Skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfortable using computer software for a broad range of tasks.
- Remarkable time-management and organizational skills.
- Can handle working under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- In-depth knowledge regarding the use of dental technology.
- Thorough understanding of dental health maintenance and infection protocols.
- Outstanding bedside manner.
- Exceptional listening skills.
- Can create an effective and safe environment.
- Works well unsupervised and as a member of a team.
Dental Hygienist Duties & Responsibilities
- Use of dental instruments for cleaning accretions, calcareous deposits, and stains from the teeth and beneath the gum's margins.
- Feeling the lymph nodes under the patient's chin for signs of swelling and tenderness and any indications of oral cancer.
- Reviewing and noting the patient's medical history.
- Using probes for examining and locating recessed periodontal gums and potential signs of gum disease.
- Maintaining x-ray machine and dental equipment.
- Visually examining and feeling gums for signs of sores, disease, and other dental health problems.
- Exposure and development of x-ray film.
- Sharpen and sterilize all dental instruments.
- Improving patient oral health care by promoting preventative dental care.
- Working with dental assistant and dentists.
- Maintenance of a dental hygiene program for all patients.
- Uses prescribed protocols and procedures to prepare patient treatment rooms.
- Prepares all patients for dental hygiene treatments by welcoming, seating, soothing, and draping them.
- Provides information to employees and patients by answering requests and questions.
- Selects equipment and materials for each dental hygiene visit by evaluating the patient's oral health.
- Arrests dental decay by using cavity-preventing agents, including fluoride.
- Removes cement from bridges and crowns.
- Can explain procedures and outcomes in an easy to understand manner.
- Is discreet and compassionate when addressing patient needs.
Dental Hygienist Requirements
- Associate's degree through an accredited dental hygiene program.
- Must possess current hygiene license.
- CPR certification is required.
- Must be current on vaccinations for Hepatitis B.
- Can administer local anesthetic agents.
- Using an x-ray machine is needed.
- In-depth knowledge of dental health and oral hygiene.
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template
- Step 1: Replace the job duties and requirements based on information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Then post on a job board.
Top Job Boards
Related Hiring Resources5+ Best Dental Hygienist Interview Questions & Answers
Dental Hygienist Cover Letter Sample
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..