Direct Support Job Description Sample
Is it your passion to care for others? If so, then working as a DSP is an excellent opportunity to let that shine. Those who are pursuing a career as a Direct Support Professional works toward caring for individuals with disabilities. You'll be responsible for encouraging them to lead independent lives. You'll also be playing a critical role regarding integrating them into their local community. Serving in this capacity includes working in assisted living homes, companies, religious institutions, and schools.
Table Of Contents
Direct Support Job Description Sample
Our company is searching for a motivated, compassionate, and qualified direct support professional (DSP) to provide care for our residents. You'll also be encouraging them to lead independent and productive lives. Your responsibilities will consist of following guidelines and specific instructions regarding each residents' care, support, and treatments. You'll also be responsible for assisting with encouraging meaningful interactions among residents, supporting the expression of spiritual beliefs, and assisting with personal care needs. You'll be serving as an advocate for the entire community. Successful candidates must work in an empathetic manner while simultaneously caring for patients in a way that encourages community inclusion and independence. Top candidates are empathetic, prudent, and patient.
Direct Support Resume Summary
This is how you might describe your position as a Direct Support in a resume summary, executive summary or professional summary:
Highly motivated and qualified Direct Support Professional with over six years' experience providing individualized care to developmental disability residents. I am goal-oriented with outstanding leadership capabilities. I have a proven track record of working in unison with team members and other staff members. I have remarkable interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
Direct Support National Average Salary
According to the most recent statistics from 2019 by PayScale, the national average salary for a Direct Support Professional is $31,744 per year. That equates to, on average, $11.23 per hour. Entry-level direct support professionals with less than one year of experience can expect to see hourly wages of at least $10.74. Those who have been working as direct support professionals for twenty years or longer are reporting hourly salaries of $12.08 or higher.
Direct Support Duties & Responsibilities
- Establishes a positive, secure environment that nurtures residents goals, needs, and self-expression.
- Oversees residents and takes care of their needs.
- Performs housekeeping duties.
- Delivers individualized attention and training for residents that comply with healthcare professionals' guidelines and specifications.
- Advances residents' decision-making, participation in a variety of activities, and overall productivity.
- Promotes independence regarding all daily activities, including learning, leisure, and working.
- Facilities residents' inclusion in the community's activities and experiences.
- Maintains working knowledge regarding all residents' requirements.
- Complies with all the facility's procedures, policies, and rules.
- Maintains documentation that complies with the company's policies and procedures.
- Operates the facility's vehicles in compliance with government statutes, as well as company policies.
Direct Support Skills
- Outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Superb listening skills.
- Is service-oriented and actively looking for ways to assist individuals.
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Impeccable time-management skills.
- Exceptional judgment and decision-making skills.
Direct Support Requirements
- Has their high school diploma or the equivalent.
- CPR, first-aid, and other mandatory certifications.
- Must complete all provided and required training.
- Completion of compulsory criminal background check.
- Must complete a health screening.
- At least six months of social service or life experience with individuals with developmental or intellectual disabilities.
- Valid driver's license, good driving record, and reliable vehicle.
- Flexible and able to work shifts.
- Works comfortably with assisting residents with medical routines and hygiene.
Using Your Template
Follow these instructions to use your new job description template
- Step one: Fill out all details in your job description template using the provided sample on this page.
- Step two: Customize your requirements or duties to anything special to your workplace. Be sure to speak with team members and managers to gauge what's required of the position.
- Step three: When the census of the team has agreed on the description of the work, add in a Equal Employment Opportunity statement to the bottom of your job description.
- Step four: Check with your legal department, management team, and other team members to ensure the job description looks correct before creating a job advertisement. Choose a job board that's specific to your needs.
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..