Legal Secretary Job Description Sample
Pursuing a rewarding career as a legal secretary means you'll be working toward improving an attorney's efficiency. You'll achieve that goal by providing a law firm's administrative support. Often, you'll see this job description as a legal assistant. Becoming a careerist in this field means you'll be playing a critical role in a lawyer's office. Some tasks include maintaining attorney calendars, preparing court documents, and typing minutes from court appearances.
Table of Contents
- Legal Secretary Job Description Sample
- Legal Secretary Salary
- Legal Secretary Job Description For Resume
- Legal Secretary Skills
- Legal Secretary Duties & Responsibilities
- Legal Secretary Requirements
Legal Secretary Job Description Sample
Our firm is in search of a professional and organized legal secretary to oversee a range of secretarial and administrative duties. Working in the role means you'll be supporting attorneys when performing these clerical duties. Some responsibilities include filing legal documentation, being in attendance during court proceedings, researching cases, and scheduling meetings. Successful candidates working in this capacity have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Top candidates are professional and polite while having an in-depth knowledge of legal terminology and procedures.
Legal Secretary Salary
According to statistics gathered by PayScale in November 2019, the national average salary for a legal secretary is $53,736. That equates to an average hourly rate of $18.23. Factors that impact these salaries include the level of experience, location, and practice setting. Entry-level legal secretaries with less than one year of experience can expect to see an annual salary of $36,000, on average. Those who have been working as a legal secretary for twenty years or longer are seeing an average rate of $63,000 per year.
Legal Secretary Job Description for the Resume
Legal Secretary with over seven years of experience and certification. I have expertise regarding family law. I also possess an in-depth knowledge of technology and litigation software. When working for my previous employer, I spearheaded the reduction of office expenses through the implementation of an expense tracking system that led to a 14% decrease.
Legal Secretary Skills
In this section, you're outlining your candidate's skills. You can include requirements for previous job experience, technical skills, certifications, and so on. If you have personality traits and soft skills you envision for a successful hire, include them in this section as well. Avoid making this section too long. Otherwise, you'll dissuade applications coming in from qualified candidates.
Here's an example of a reasonable list of skills for a Legal Secretary:
- Outstanding organizational and time-management skills.
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills.
- Have technological capabilities, including transcription, invoicing, email management, and so on.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Is an active listener and has an incredible memory.
- Show excellent attention to detail regarding auditing, note-taking, data entry, and so on.
- Remarkable multitasking skills.
- Works well independently with little direction and as part of a team.
Legal Secretary Duties & Responsibilities
The most important part of a company's job description is where the list of duties and responsibilities go. Here is where you'll outline the functions of the position, what responsibilities will occur regularly, and other pertinent details.
Here’s an example of a Legal Secretary’s duties and responsibilities:
- Providing secretarial support to at least one attorney or more at a law firm.
- Editing and proofreading all of the firm's legal documentation.
- Maintaining the attorney calendar by scheduling meetings, depositions, and conferences.
- Prepares correspondence to a variety of parties.
- Creates and populates spreadsheets.
- Welcoming clients and conducting the initial screening of new clients.
- Attending court proceedings to type the minutes.
- Organizing all legal documentation and ensuring everything is up-to-date.
- Making sure all court documentation is orderly and filed promptly before deadlines.
- Answering phone calls and emails and redirecting phone calls when necessary.
- Researching and authenticating critical case information.
- Preparing a broad range of documents, including petitions, appeals, and motions.
Legal Secretary Requirements
Here’s where you can break down the requirements of your position in further detail. Include informational requirements such as education, additional skills, and abilities.
Here’s an excellent example of requirements for a Legal Secretary:
- Has a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Possessing an associates degree in legal studies or a related major is preferred.
- Three years, at least, experience working in a similar role.
- In-depth knowledge of legal terminology and documents.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- May need to possess a clean driver's license, as well as proof of vehicle insurance.
- Medical clearance may also be a requirement.
- Must have in-depth knowledge of various court systems' filing requirements and rules.
- firm understanding of legal library systems and legal citation rules is a requirement.
Legal Secretary Resources
Using Your Template
Follow these instructions to use your new job description template
- Step one: Fill out all details in your job description template using the provided sample on this page.
- Step two: Customize your requirements or duties to anything special to your workplace. Be sure to speak with team members and managers to gauge what's required of the position.
- Step three: When the census of the team has agreed on the description of the work, add in a Equal Employment Opportunity statement to the bottom of your job description.
- Step four: Check with your legal department, management team, and other team members to ensure the job description looks correct before creating a job advertisement. Choose a job board that's specific to your needs.
Related Hiring ResourcesLegal Secretary Cover Letter Sample
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..