Houseman Job Description Sample
If you are looking to hire a Houseman, ideally, you would be looking for candidates with a wide array of housekeeping skills and a deep understanding of the hospitality industry. A houseman is an integral part of your housekeeping team, and in most cases - they are the male equivalent of a maid (and you'll sometimes find the position being referred to as a butler).
Houseman Job Description Sample
In our hospitality environment, a houseman is responsible for keeping common areas clean and presentable, assisting housekeepers and stocking housekeeping closets on each floor as necessary, while also responding to guest and front desk requests. A houseman should possess keen abilities to be personable, organized, self-motivated, and be able to follow safety protocols and instructions.
This position is generally paid hourly, between $13-20 an hour, depending on the degree of experience and range of qualifications of a successful candidate. In most cases, this position hosts both part-time and full-time availability, depending on the individual needs of a given business.
A houseman's salary may also increase up to $46,000 once they obtain a significant degree of experience (typically more than 20 years) in the industry. However, this number also fluctuates depending on the position's location and how upscale their place of employment is.
Typically, entry-level positions would only require candidates to have a GED or any other equivalent of a high-school diploma to get started as a houseman.
A successful candidate should also display impeccable attention to detail, great communication skills, and have the ability to multitask and prioritize correctly in a fast-paced teamwork setting. Alongside the aforementioned skills, being able to display a strong aptitude for problem-solving as well as the ability to stay focused on the needs of guests, especially in stressful situations, is a huge asset and generally helps separate the good candidates from the excellent ones.
While there aren't many requirements to enter into the profession - candidates aiming for more senior positions should also have a range of relevant industry or work experience ready to present with their application. And bear in mind that depending on the location of a given position - applicants may need to show proof of work eligibility such as a visa or permanent residence status.
Duties and Responsibilities
In most cases, a houseman would report to the executive housekeeper, and their direct responsibilities would include but are not limited to the following:
- Respond to guest requests and consistently offer professional service.
- Remove and separate soiled linens to be replaced with fresh ones.
- Vacuuming and mopping of floors.
- Remaking beds and maintaining a clean and tidy appearance of all hotel areas at all times.
- Maintain inventory and restock complimentary items in suites as well as in common areas.
- Wipe down dirty or dusty surfaces.
- Clean lobby areas and hallways including floors and elevators.
- Assist room attendants and ensure proper procedures and departmental standards are followed and met.
- Assist with front desk and guest inquiries as needed.
Requirements and Skills
Expanding on the range of qualifications necessary for a candidate to be successful as a houseman - there is a fairly diverse array of skills that can be considered a significant asset to this position.
Being able to take note of these skills could help you better categorize applicants to find the ones most suitable for your particular needs while weeding out the rest.
The list of skills that are beneficial to a houseman generally includes:
- Being able to work autonomously or as part of a team.
- Possessing extreme attention to detail.
- Having a courteous and patient nature with strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to lift up to 50lbs and be on their feet for an entire shift.
- Having strong problem-solving skills.
- Exhibiting great organizational and multitasking capability.
- Being flexible and willing to work long hours.
Using This Houseman Job Description Template
In order to use your new houseman job description template, follow the instructions below.
- Step one: Copy and paste all sections into a new Word Document (Job Description Sample, Duties, Skills, and Requirements).
- Step two: Customize your requirements or duties to anything special to your environment. Be sure that you meet with either executive staff members or team members to qualify what requirements need to be met.
- Step three: When posting your job online, be sure to include an average salary range as this can help to prevent applicants who don't meet your criteria. Salary ranges are provided in each template.
- Step four: Before posting your job, be sure to check with your team and ensure all descriptions, duties, and requirements are accurate. This will save you from potential miscommunications during the interview process.
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..