Security Analyst Job Description
Pursuing a rewarding career as a security analyst means you will be working for various companies and industries in the field of data protection. You'll achieve that goal by designing and implementing security systems to protect a company's or organization's sensitive information and computer networks from cyber-attacks and breach of information.
Becoming an analyst in this field, you will be part of the IT department and take part in network administration. Some tasks include identifying flaws and loopholes in a company's networking system and providing protective measures based on technical analysis.
Security Analyst Job Description Sample
Our company is looking for a talented Security Analyst professional to join our team of data protection specialists.
Working in this role means you'll be analyzing, designing, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating the security systems that protect our company's computer systems and data.
Some responsibilities include creating and analyzing security policies and procedures to determine weaknesses in infrastructure security and undertaking a thorough audit of existing measures.
Successful candidates working in this capacity should have an excellent understanding of web development, HTTP, HTML, and application security. Top candidates are professional and can work individually and in a team environment while displaying in-depth knowledge of configuring and troubleshooting network security policies.
Security Analyst Salary
According to statistics gathered by PayScale, the national average salary for a security analyst is $75,774. That equates to an average hourly rate of $38.86. Factors that impact these figures include the level of vocational experience, location of the position, and experience in working with specific technologies and systems.
Entry-level security analysts with less than one year of working experience can expect to see an annual salary of around $51,000 or so. However, those who have been working as a cybersecurity analyst for over ten years generally earn an average salary of over $100,000.
Security Analyst Required Soft Skills
- Ethical hacking and penetration testing.
- Intrusion prevention and computer forensics, including reverse engineering software.
- Proficiency in writing technical documents.
- Standard technological skills.
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills, both in front of large groups of team members and in written interactions.
Security Analyst Duties & Responsibilities
- Monitoring computer networks for security issues.
- Investigating security breaches and other cyber security incidents.
- Implementing security measures to protect systems and information infrastructure, including firewalls and data encryption programs.
- Documenting security breaches, assessing the damage they cause, and fixing the ensuing issues.
- Working with security team to perform tests and assessments to detect network susceptibilities.
- Researching advanced security enhancements and pitching new ideas for security recommendations to the company.
Security Analyst Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field.
- Relevant InfoSec certifications such as CEH, ESCA or CISSP.
- Experience in information security, data technology or related field.
- Experience in Unix/Linux systems, computer network penetration testing, and techniques.
- Understanding of firewalls, proxies, SIEM, antivirus, and IDPS concepts.
- Experience with configuring networks, designing security policies and troubleshooting.
Using This Security Analyst Job Description Template
In order to use your new security analyst job description template, follow the instructions below.
- Step one: Copy and paste all sections into a new Word Document (Job Description Sample, Duties, Skills, and Requirements).
- Step two: Customize your requirements or duties to anything special to your environment. Be sure that you meet with either executive staff members or team members to qualify what requirements need to be met.
- Step three: When posting your job online, be sure to include an average salary range as this can help to prevent applicants who don't meet your criteria. Salary ranges are provided in each template.
- Step four: Before posting your job, be sure to check with your team and ensure all descriptions, duties, and requirements are accurate. This will save you from potential miscommunications during the interview process.
Related Hiring ResourcesCyber Security Analyst Job Description
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..