General Labor Job Description
A general labor position can vary widely. The working conditions can range from a factory or warehouse to a manufacturing environment or construction site. General laborers are able to take on a wide variety of tasks in a wide variety of settings. The most common position is a general construction laborer, though a general laborer can work in any industry.
General Labor Job Description Sample
We are seeking a reliable, flexible, and dedicated general laborer to join our team. The successful candidate should possess a strong work ethic and be able to adapt to rapid changes in their workload and tasks at hand. You will be responsible for assisting contractors, operating machinery, and performing a wide array of labor tasks while following health and safety regulations.
General Labor Salary
The average salary for a general laborer is approximately $16.25 per hour and ranges from $10.15 an hour to above $27.30 per hour.
The compensation largely depends on the industry and the nature of the work, as well as experience and education, alongside the presence of any specializations or certifiable skills.
Education, experience, and the specific establishment employing someone in this capacity influence pay.
General Labor Required Soft Skills
- Interpersonal skills.
- Communication, both written and verbal.
- Positive attitude.
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently as required.
- Strong work ethic.
- Time management skills.
- Attention to detail.
General Labor Duties & Responsibilities
- Follow instructions from the construction manager or supervisor.
- Consult construction plans.
- Direct traffic safely around the construction site.
- Use construction and maintenance tools to complete daily tasks.
- Follow all regulations when operating heavy machinery and equipment.
- Unload tools, prepare building materials, and set up equipment.
- Complete assigned tasks in a timely fashion.
- Prepare new construction sites.
- Safely operate tools.
- Provide assistance to contractors when necessary.
- Ensure equipment is cleaned and stored safely.
General Labor Requirements
- Must be 18 years or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent is necessary.
- Trade apprenticeship or vocational school is an asset.
- Ability to perform physical manual labor and lift up to 40lbs.
- State licensure to handle hazardous materials a plus but is not required to start.
- Must be comfortable working at elevated heights, on a ladder or otherwise.
Using This General Labor Job Description Template
In order to use your new general labor job description template, follow the instructions below.
- Step one: Copy and paste all sections into a new Word Document (Job Description Sample, Duties, Skills, and Requirements).
- Step two: Customize your requirements or duties to anything special to your environment. Be sure that you meet with either executive staff members or team members to qualify what requirements need to be met.
- Step three: When posting your job online, be sure to include an average salary range as this can help to prevent applicants who don't meet your criteria. Salary ranges are provided in each template.
- Step four: Before posting your job, be sure to check with your team and ensure all descriptions, duties, and requirements are accurate. This will save you from potential miscommunications during the interview process.
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..