Athletic Director Job Description
Athletic directors oversee all aspects of athletic programs. This includes hiring and firing of staff, facility management, scheduling, budgeting, and ensuring compliance with various regulations. They also enjoy working with teams, coaches, and individual players to put the team in a position to succeed and reach their potential.
Athletic Director Job Description Sample
We are looking to add an experienced, passionate, and outgoing Athletic Director to our roster of athletic professionals. In this position, you will be responsible for planning, organizing, and supervising the roll-out of various initiatives under our athletics programs. The ideal candidate should be ready to work in a team setting where collaboration is key. Additionally, you would also be responsible for facility supervision and ensuring the safety and compliance of the facilities against established guidelines.
Athletic Director Salary
The salary for an athletic director can range anywhere from $34,000-$100,000 per year, with a median of about $60,000, according to PayScale in 2019.
This salary is based on education, experience in the field, and skill level. It may also vary with the presence of any special skills that the successful candidate could bring to the role.
Athletic Director Required Soft Skills
- Strong leadership.
- Effective management skills.
- Dispute resolution.
- Work well under pressure.
- Ability to form and effectively communicate a long-term vision for a team.
- Interpersonal skills.
Athletic Director Duties & Responsibilities
- Preparing budgets and managing salaries, team travel, facility expenses, and equipment costs.
- Provide direction for a school's sports program.
- Coordinating with coaches, conferences, and leagues regarding scheduling.
- Collaborating with league officials.
- Coordinating officials and umpires.
- Status reports on teams.
- Mediating disputes between athletes and coaches.
Athletic Director Requirements
- At the high school level, athletic directors should have a bachelor's degree in education, physical education, or another related field. Some schools also require a teaching certificate or 2-3 years of coaching experience.
- At the more intense collegiate level, most schools require a master's in athletic administration as well as 3-5 years of coaching experience as well as administrative experience.
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template
- Step 1: Replace the job duties and requirements based on information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Then post on a job board.
Top Job Boards
Related Hiring ResourcesAthletic Director Cover Letter Sample
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..