Power BI is a powerful piece of business analysis software. As I discuss in other articles, business analysis is becoming more and more of a hard need in today's modern technology companies. As we produce more product and those products begin to bump into each other in more ways, the business analysis provides a lens to be able to differentiate and encourage growth in the right paths. Reporting is a big component to this as it allows executives to understand how well their company is performing. Power BI is a tool that helps executives and engineers fill this void. Below are some great Power BI interview questions and answers to help you prepare for your next job interview. They can also be used to hire a Power BI professional in-house. All answers should be considered mock answers and I would encourage you to spend the time attempting to answer these experienced interview questions in your own way. That will give you the best chance of success and portrayal of confidence while being interviewed.
1. Describe Power BI according to you.
Power BI is a cloud-based data sharing instrument, which enables anybody to survey and picture data utilizing satisfactory speed, efficiency, and cognizance. In the meantime, it additionally helps with connecting the clients to a broad assortment of data with the easy to work dashboards and the intelligent reports. When you have made reports using power turn, control question and power see, you may then bestow the bits of learning to your accomplices. This would be the place Power BI enters the condition. Power BI, which is a part of SharePoint on the web would provide a chance to stack Excel exercise manuals into the cloud and then offer them with a selected number of collaborators. Your accomplices or peers may likewise interface with these reports so as to apply channels and slicers to the highlighting information. These are done by Power BI as the primary system for sharing assessments from the Microsoft cloud. The Power BI highlights allow for:
• Introductions and discussions with associates.
• Generally refreshing the excel files or records from data sources which are nearby or within the cloud infrastructures.
• Showing the yield on many gadgets. This would incorporate tablets, PCs and HTML 5 enabled cell phones, which utilize Power BI applications.
• You can also question or analyze any of the data by utilizing common dialect preparation.
2. What is the general business need for Power BI?
You can take the data and create robust reporting very easily. This assists in attracting new clients toward servicing and monitoring the customers already present. It also becomes possible to track information and set goals. Therefore, completely building an extraction, transformation and loading solution ultimately assists the management so they are able to make better decisions in the process. The return on investment when it comes to Power BI is also very high. Lastly, it makes some of the unwanted data into information, which can be utilized progressively.
3. Which data sources are often associated with Power BI?
The rundown of the data associations for Power BI are pretty broad. Though it is possible to assemble into the accompanying:
• Records: the data can be from excel utilizing both .xlsx and xlxm files as well as Power BI desktop documents (.pbix) and comma separated value operations or (.csv)
• Content packs: this is an accumulation of the related reports or records which are set aside as a gathering. When it comes to Power BI, there are two forms of substance packs. These are the administrators suppliers like Google Analytics or Salesforce and those made and shared by different clients within the association. The other is connectors to databases and datasets like Azure SQL and SQL, Server Analysis Services.
4. What are the distinctive channels in the Power BI reports?
Power BI provides an assortment of choice by which to channel report, data and perception.
• Visual level filters: these channels can chip away at particular perception that decreasing the amount of data, which can be viewed. The visual level channels may also channel computations.
• Page level filters: these channels operate at the report page level. The pages in a similar report may have diverse page level type of channels.
• Report level type of filters: these are channels, which chip at the entire report and sift all the pages and representations that are included within the report. The realization is Power BI visual has certain operations, which make the act of sifting that much better. Visual associations are also valuable though they come with a number of constraints. For one, the channel is not spared as a feature of the report. At any point, you may open a report; you can begin to play with the visual channels though there is no way of storing the channel within the spared report. The channel is also noticeable. Sometimes you may need a channel for the entire report. However, there is no need for a visual sign of the channel, which is being connected.
5. What is the key differences between Power BI and Power BI Pro?
Power BI gives you a number of key features to assist with exploring data in a multitude of ways. Power BI Pro provides some of the better features within Power BI along with additional type of features including the storage capacity, and scheduling data refresh more frequent than normal, live data sources with interactivity and much more.
6. How much does Power BI cost?
Power BI and Power BI Desktop are free to use. For the Power BI Pro package, there is a 60-day free trial period. After that, it is $9.99 per month or there is an annual fee as well which you can opt for.
7. What is Power BI Desktop?
Power BI Desktop refers to a the desktop application that can be installed on your MAc or PC. It works cohesively with Power BI by giving advanced data exploration features, modeling and shaping as well as report creation with highly interactive visualizations. It is possible to save your work to a number of export types and then publish your data and reporting to the Power BI site to share with team members.
8. What is DAX?
In order to conduct basic math or calculations and data analysis when it comes to power pivot, there is a need to use Data Analysis Expression or DAX. This is basically a formula language, which is used to compute the calculated column and the calculated fields.
• It works on the column values
• DAX cannot modify or insert information or data
• It is possible to calculate calculated column and measures but it is not possible to calculate rows with the use of DAX
9. What are parts of Microsoft self service business intelligence solution?
Microsoft has two parts for self-service business intelligence solution:
• Excel BI toolkit: this allows the customers to initiate an interactive report through the importation of data from different sources and modeling the data according to the requirements of the report.
• It is an online solution, which allows one to share the interactive reports and queries, which have been created with the use of Excel BI Toolkit.
10. What is self-service business intelligence offering?
• Self-service business intelligence or SSBI refers to the approach of data analytics which allows the users or colleagues to filter, analyze and segment data without an in-depth technical knowledge of business intelligence and/or statistical analysis.
• SSBI has made it pretty easy for the general end users of company to access information and then create different visuals in order to get a better business insights.
• Anyone that has a basic understanding of the data should be able to create reports in order to come up with intuitive and sharable types of dashboards.
11. What are the building blocks when it comes to Power BI?
• Visualizations; this is a visual representation of the data which can be line graphs, pie charts, side bar charts, graphical representations of the source data and tree maps.
• Datasets: a dataset refers to a collection of data, which the Power BI may utilize in order to come up with visualizations such as the Excel sheets, Oracle or the SQL server tables.
• Reports: this refers to the collection of visualizations which appear together on one or more of the pages of insights. For example, it can be sales according to city, country, state or a logistics performance report.
• Dashboards: the dashboard is a single layer presentation that has different visualization modes which you can access. So if you integrate one or more of the visualizations into one of the page layers. Its pretty fancy. For example: sales dashboard may have pie charts, geographical maps as well as, bar charts.
• Tiles: Tile refers to a single visualization within a report or on the dashboard. An example in this case would be a pie chart in dashboard or report.
12. What are the content packs when it comes to Power BI?
Content packs for the services are essentially prebuilt solutions for a number of services as part of the Power BI experience. A subscriber to one of the supported services may be able to connect quickly to their account from Power BI in order to see the data through a live dashboard and interactive or visual reports. Microsoft released some of the content packs for known services like Marketo, Salesforce.com, Adobe Analytics, Mobile Engagement, Azure and many more. The organizational content packs allow the users, system integrators (programmers) and BI professionals with the tools for building their content packs in order to share purpose built dashboards, datasets and reports within their organization.
13. How is the FILTER function used within Power BI?
The FILTER function returns a table with a general set of filter conditions that is applied for each of the source table rows. The FILTER function is not always used indepedently as it is generally utilized as a parameter to the other functions like CALCULATE.
• FILTER refers to an iterator and so it can negatively affect performance over the large source tables.
• The complex filtering logic may be applied like the referencing of a measure within a filter expression.
• FILTER(MyTable,[SalesMetric]> 500)
14. What are the various names of Power BI?
• Excel BI Toolkit: In the heart of Microsoft’s Power BI would be the Excel BI Toolkit. This is what provides it with power and boost. This comprises of Excel and a number of add-ins, which allow you to shape, create and project the data as analyzed and consider some of the components. There are four main elements, which would be: Power View, Power Pivot, Power Map and Power Query.
• Power View: this mainly analyses and represents the data in a means that is interactive as a data visualization manner with the use of Power View.
• Power Query: this investigates; change public and internal information as well as access to the information sources.
• Power Pivot: this works as an information modeling for the in-memory analytics.
• Power Map: Assist in bringing information to bear with visualization approaches, which are interactive.
15. Name some of the filters that are utilized within Power BI Reports.
• Visual level filters
• Drill through filters
• Page level filters
• Report level filters
16. Can you tell me how well you understand the Power BI designer?
This is a solo application that is associated with Power BI. It is possible to make Power BI reports and then transfer them to PowerBI.com without requirements from an excel spreadsheet. This is a mix of Power View, Power Query and Power Pivot.
17. What is the main differences between the Power BI gateway and Data management gateways?
The data management gateway is a component, which gets continuous data and exposes the tables and relevant views. In the case of Power BI gateway, this is software, which considers the on-premise Network. This data is not stored in the cloud. It can be utilized for a single data or different data sources. The data are stored and encrypted within the gateway cloud service.
18. What is the need of the new selection pane within the report of the Power BI desktop application?
It can generally be used for controlling the tabs order between the visuals on the page you are looking at. It is possible to combine two or more of the visual pages into one visual group. It can be used to select data in a visual for highlighting and drill down.
19. What is your opinion of the dynamic filtering option within Power BI?
The dynamic filtering in Power BI is implemented using a number of steps. Here are just a few.
• The data is set up, you may publish the detail report to Power BI.
• It is then published to Group Work Space
• Create Filter link is then used (filter = Salesperson// Employee)
• Create DAX calculated column is then made
• Public Overview Report is produced
20. What data sets are generally used for creating a dashboard with streaming data tiles?
• Streaming datasets (there needs to be data, which is cached in a memory before we use streaming data sets). • Hybrid datasets.
21. What is the normal table capacity for gathering information in Power BI?
Fundamental group work in SSAS
The prescribed practice would be to determine table and gathering by sections not metrics. You may utilize ADDCOLUMNS work. SUMMARIZECOLUMNS
New gathering by work for SSAS and Power BI Desktop; more productive
Indicate bunch by different segments, table and articulations
22. What are some of the advantages of utilizing the variables within DAX?
• Through announcing and assessing a variable, the variable can reuse in different circumstances within DAX articulation and in this manner stays away from the extra inquiries of the particular source database.
• Factors may make the DAX articulations instinctive so they can be deciphered.
• Factors are just perused to their measure or question as they cannot share among the measures, inquiries or characterize at the model level.
23. Can you tell me what Power Pivotis?
Power Pivot is included as part of the software for Microsoft excel which allows you to import several lines of data from the different data sources into a solitary Excel exercise manual. This would provide the chance to make connections between the homogenous data and make figured sections. It can also be used to measure the utilizing equations as well as the assembly of Pivot Tables and Pivot Charts. It would be possible to additionally break down the data so one can settle on the more convenient business alternatives without the need for IT support.
24. Can you tell me what some of the contrasts in data displaying is between the Power BI Desktop and Power Pivot for Excel?
• Power BI Desktop underpins the bi-directional cross-sifting connections, figured tables, security and Direct Query Choices.
• Power Pivot for Excel also has single bearing connections, ascertained segments and underpins the import mode, as it would be. The security parts cannot characterize in Power Pivot for Excel.
25. Can you tell me what the Power Pivot Data Model is?
This is a model, which comprises data writes, tables and sections as well as, table relations. The data tables usually develop for holding data when it comes to business substance.
26. What is x-Velocity memory examination utilized for as part of the Power Pivot?
The fundamental engine that is behind power rotate would be the x-Velocity in memory examination engine. It can assist with a substantial or big data measure of data because it stores data in the column database and in the memory examination, which brings a quicker preparation of data as it stacks the data to RAM memory. It is an efficient way to analyze large data.
27. Would you be able to have access of one dynamic connections between two tables in the data model in the intensity rotate?
It is not possible to have access of one dynamic connection between two tables. However, it usually is possible to have access of one connection between two tables. There is just one single dynamic relationship and a lot of latent relationship. The dabbed lines are idle while the constant lines are dynamic.
28. What is Power Query?
Power query refers to an ETL Tool used to shape, clean and change the data utilizing instinctive interfaces without the use of code. It allows the client to import their data from an extensive variety of sources from documents, databases, huge data, internet based life data and so forth. Join and add data from different sources. You can shape the data according to necessity through evacuation and inclusion of the data.
29. What are data goals when it comes to Power Queries?
Two goals for yield are attained from the control question.
• Loading to a table within a worksheet
• Loading to the Excel Data Model
30. Can you tell me what question collapsing within Power Query is?
Query collapsing is what happens when the steps characterized in Power Query/Query Editor are then converted into SQL or MySQL and then executed by the sources database as opposed to the customers machine. It is important for the preparing of execution and versatility given the restricted assets on the customer machine.
31. Is Power BI available on-prem?
No, it is not available as a private, internal type of cloud service. This is usually called "on-prem". However, with Power BI and Power BI Desktop, you may have a secure connection to your on-prem data sources. With the on-premises Data Gateway, it is possible to connect live to your on-premises SQL Server Analysis Services server and some of the other data sources. You may also want to schedule refreshes with a centralized type of getaway. In the event that a getaway is not there then you can refresh the data from the on premises data sources with the use of Power BI Gateway Personal. It is also possible to view the on-premises SQL server mobile reports with the Power BI iOS application:
• SQL Server mobile reports on the iPad • SQL Server mobile reports on the iPhone
32. Does Power BI support the general mobile devices like Android and iOS?
Power BI does in fact have native applications for Android phones, iOS devices and some of the Windows 10 devices. Download one of the Power BI mobile apps from the respective stores:
• Google Play
• Windows Store
• Apple App Store
33. The Power BI Desktop’s Software License Terms show that one may install and use one copy of the software on the premises. True or false?
The question is whether this means you are limited to one copy of Power BI Desktop for the entire company. Power BI desktop’s use rights do not limit the individual to one copy of Power BI Desktop for the entire firm. Each of the individual users at the firm is able to install and use one copy on their premises.
34. What is query folding in Power Query for Power BI?
Query folding generally refers to the steps defined in Power Query, which is translated into SQL and executed by the source databases as opposed to the clients machine. It is important for processing performance as well as, scalability considering the limited resources when it comes to the client machine.
35. What are some of the common Power Query Transforms?
Changing the data types, choosing/ removal of columns, filtering rows, grouping and splitting a column into separate columns.
36. Can SQL and Power Query/Editor be used in tandem?
Yes, a SQL statement may be fined as the source of the Power Query function for the sake of additional processing type of logic. That would be one of the better practices to make certain that an efficient type of database query is passed to the source in order to avoid unnecessary type of complexity or processing by the client machine and the M function.
37. What are the main query parameters and Power BI Templates you have access to?
The Query parameters are parameters which can be used to provide the user of the local Power BI desktop report via a prompt that is geared to be specified for the values to access.
• The parameter selection would then be used by the calculations and the query.
• PBIX files would then be exported as Templates.
• The templates have everything within the PBIX except the data.
Parameters and templates as well can make it possible to share or email smaller template files and limit the amount of data loaded within the local PBIX files, thus improving the time for processing and experience.
38. What is the main language, which is used in Power Query?
It is a new programming language, which goes by the term M-Code. It is easy to use and similar to the other programming languages. It is a case sensitive type of code.
39. Why would you need Power Query when Power Pivot may import the data from the neededsources?
Power Query is apparently a self-service type of ETL tool that runs as an excel add-in. It allows the end users to pull their data from different sources and manipulate it into whatever forms they wish, which would best suit its needs and then load it into Excel or some other type of data export source. It would be better to use Power Query over Power Pivot because it allows you to not only load the data but also manipulate it according to the needs of the user while loading.
40. Can you tell me waht the power Map is?
The Power Map refers to an excel add-on that provides a powerful set of tools which assists in the visualizations and insight into large data sets which have a geo coded type of component. It may also assist in the production of 3D visualizations through plotting up to a million data points in the form of a heatmap, column and bubble maps on top of the Bing map. If the data is time coded, then it may also give some interactive views, which illustrate the manner the data is changing over the course of both space and time.
41. What is the main requirement for a table to be used in Power Map for Power BI?
For the data to be consumed in power map there ought to be location data such as the:
• Latitude and longitude pair
• Street, country, region, zip, postal code and state, which may be geo-located with the assistance of Bing. The main requirement for the table would be that it has unique rows. It also has to have data that can be in the form of a latitude/ longitude pair though this is not necessarily one of the requirement. It is possible to use some of the address fields instead like the country, city, street/ region, zip code. These can be geo-located with Bing.
42. What are the data hotspots when it comes to Power Map?
The data can either be available in Excel or it can be available remotely. For the sake and ease of setting up your data, make sure the majority of your data is in Excel table organization where each of the columns speaks to a unique record. The segment headings or the column headings ought to have a message as opposed to genuine data with the objective that Power Map is there to decipher it in an accurate manner especially when it plots the geographic directions. The utilization of some of the important names makes the classification fields accessible in the Power Map Tour Editor Sheet. In order to utilize a table structure which speaks to both time and geology within the Power Map, incorporate the better part of the data within the table lines and utilize the enlightening content marks within the segment headings in a manner that is similar to:
• You wish to stack the data from an outside source.
• In Excel click on the menu data > the association you need within the Get external data gathering.
• Take the means or results within the wizard that begins.
• On the last advance of the wizard, make certain Add this data to the Data Model is checked.
43. Is it possible to invigorate the Power BI reports once they are uploaded to the cloud?
Yes, absolutely. It is definitely possible to revive the reports through a Data Management gateway when it comes to SharePoint and Power BI Personal gateway.
44. What are some of the distinctive types of invigorating data used for the distributed reports in Power BI?
There are four main types of invigorating steps when it comes to Power BI. Bundle invigorate, model or data revive, tile revive and visual compartment type of revive.
• Visual compartment invigorate- Invigorating the visual compartment refreshes the stored report type visuals within a report once the data starts to change. In order to find out concerning data invigorate and view how to actualize the data revives, you can check on the accompanying connection.
• Tile Invigorate - Tile invigorate refreshes the stores for the tile visuals on the dashboard once the data begins to change. This happens at regular type intervals. You may also constrain a tile for invigorating through the option of the ellipsis (which is three dots like this ...)on the upper right of the dashboard and choosing Refresh Dashboard Tiles.
• Bundle Invigorate – This would then synchronize the Power BI Desktop or Excel document between the Power BI benefit and OneDrive, or SharePoint Online. This does not pull the data from the first data source though. The dataset when it comes to Power BI can refresh with that which is in the record inside OneDrive.
• Display/data revive – This refers to the revising of the dataset inside the Power BI benefit with data from the initial data source. This would either be finished by utilizing booked revive or invigorate now. That would require an entryway for the on-premises data sources.