30 Answers To "Why Do You Want To Work Here?"
“Why do you want to work here?” is probably something we’ve heard from a hiring manager at least once in our lives. This common question seems simple, but sometimes it can be tough to answer. Especially if you’re not entirely invested in the specific company you’re applying for. We all need to make money, right? Still, you’ll need to answer this question appropriately. We’ve put together 50 fantastic example answers to this question so you’ll be able to get the ball rolling in how you might answer this question for yourself.
First, let’s talk about why hiring managers ask this question and how you should prepare for it.
How to prepare for “Why do you want to work here?”
The biggest reason this question is asked by hiring managers is simple: They want to know how invested you are in them as a company and whether or not you’re applying just for a job. It's a fairly simple way to tell whether or not you've spent the time to look into what's happening with the company. Remember, companies like to hire people who are passionate about the business. You are there to facilitate not just a job function but an overall demeanor of success. If you aren't familiar with their values, then it's going to come across easily when you answer this question for the interviewer.
Pretty much every industry position will facilitate this question. And realistically, sometimes you are just there for a job. Even then, don’t let that be your answer. You should do your best to be thoughtful and accurate in your response. Prepare by studying answers to “Why do you want to work here?” and customize your own answer for the specific job you’re applying for.
It's important you customize the answer based on recent events. As you'll see from some of the answers below, they may be more situational to a certain time or event. If that's the case, choose an answer like that and begin to customize it for your particular needs. If you don't, the answer will seem as though you are fibbing and that may knock you out of the running of candidates. Be genuine, think about an answer which is going to reflect your personal interest in the company.
Let’s look at some “Why do you want to work here?” examples to use for your next job interview.
30 example answers to “Why do you want to work here?”
1. I read a write-up a few months back on the outreach your company does within the local community. Giving back and volunteering is an important part of my own personal core values, and I remember feeling happy that a company values this community as much as I do. That happiness grew when I saw there was a job position opening in my field here. I would really enjoy coming to work each day with the knowledge that I am helping to make a difference in the community through my work in this position.
2. I really do believe in the value of collaboration, and so when I saw a position with your company in the production department I had to make sure my application was put in. I believe strongly in working with other colleagues towards a common goal. I also know the skills I bring not only as a developer but as a member of a team will make me a valuable team member as well.
3. I have nothing but respect for the technological innovations you’ve been developing, and I want nothing more than to be a part of a company that is changing the world.
4. I’ve been a fan of your products for years. In my experience, one a product becomes popular the company behind it gets lazy with the quality. In the ten years I’ve been using this product, it’s only gotten better. I want to be an advocate for this product and work on it.
5. I firmly believe in taking a collaborative approach to each project I’m a part of, so when I saw a position with your company to join the production team I knew I had to apply! I've seen your work in this industry, and your advertisements and interviews really inspired me because I saw the teamwork in action. I love working with a team to achieve a common goal, and I know my background in collaboration and production has prepared me for this role. I look forward to becoming a valued contributor to this incredible team.
6. I love this industry and can’t imagine not being in it. But if I’m going to get anywhere, I need to be with the best of the best. This business is not only the leader in this industry, but it’s the only company that I have the utmost trust and confidence in.
7. This company has the reputation of being one of the leading businesses in the industry in this state, with quite a list of impressive customers as well as a notoriously high customer satisfaction rate. Your partners are frequent speakers at national conferences in this industry, and they are advocating for solutions and changes for the type of products that you make. These are signs to me that this company is a leader, not a follower in any sense. With my background in this industry, I'm very interested in changing the industry and feel like I can do that by being a part of this business.
8. I honestly didn’t know much about this company before the interview process. In my research, I’ve found that your goals and my skills match up almost perfectly.
9. I have used your products for many years and I’ve always been very impressed with the innovations and consistent concern you seem to have for helping your customers learn how to use them effectively. With the exceptional quality of your products, marketing them almost feels like a service to me since I’m so invested in them myself. I would really enjoy helping you to continue to innovate and to increase your market share and join the team.
10. I think that the company culture here is perfect for me, so my employment would be a seamless transition for us both.
11. This business has a wonderful reputation as a lovely place to work. You place a high value on your employees and encourage them to learn, grow, and become their best inside the company. This means that employees happily work here for many years and there is little turnover, which is far beyond the average length with one employer. And, according to your customers online, the high quality of your products reflect your impressive employee satisfaction, which is not surprising! This feels like a win for stockholders, employees, and customers alike. And I would be very happy to join this team.
12. I believe that excellent customer service is what sets a business apart from others. I have ample experience in customer relations, and I have to say that I’m impressed by the sheer success of your department and high amount of satisfied customer reviews online. That’s the kind of company I want to be a part of.
13. Before the recruiter told me about this opportunity at the recent job fair, I have to admit that I didn't know much about your business. I've been doing some research in preparation for this interview, and I have to say that I'm impressed by your products and your vision for the future. I'm really interested in getting more involved in the public side of development, and I read that you are really growing in that area. As an experienced developer I know I can bring a lot of value to the team.
14. I wanted to get involved in this industry and your company is definitely the leader when it comes to innovation.
15. I have used your products for many years and am consistently impressed with the innovations and changes made in the space. I also appreciate your dedication to education by providing your customers with free demos and excellent technical support to learn how to use your products correctly and effectively. I would love to be a part of this incredible team and use my skills to continue the unique work you are doing here.
16. I want to come home knowing that I made a difference on any given day. This is the company that can do that for me.
17. I’ve been using your services for a while now. When I saw the job ad, I jumped at the change to be a part of a company that provides such excellent care.
18. One of my friends is an employee here, and all he does is rave about this business. I saw a real change in him since he’s been working here, and I believe that this company cares about its employees. And when the employees are happy, they provide the most excellent work.
19. I’ve been researching this industry for a while and found that this company is top notch when it comes to production. I’m interested in working for the best of the best.
20. I think this company is changing the industry. I want to be a part of a company that’s changing history.
21. I’ve heard about your reputation in this industry. I would be proud and quite happy to work for a business with such an excellent track record and a strong example of leadership in the industry. I have a colleague that works in the technology department and she told me that the culture here is unlike any other. She also mentioned that the management here supports continuing education and training on the job while rewarding hard work when its due. Based on her testimony and encouragement, I think that I would fit in well with the team here to make a quick impact.
22. I’ve heard nothing but positive reviews from employees about this company and my skills are perfect for this position.
23. I love your products and want to be involved in their production and marketing.
24. I’ve been in this industry for a long time and nobody is shaking things up quite like you are. I want to be a part of that.
25. Your company is groundbreaking in its production techniques, and I think my skills and experience would be a perfect match for this position.
26. I've seen your business pretty much consistently listed as one of the top places to work. I've read employee reviews and heard of your enthusiasm for encouraging employee growth through education, training, and other useful resources. I already know that engaged employees do better work and that is quite evident in the most recent campaign you lead. I would love to join your team, continue to create great work, and grow within the company by learning new skills.
27. I’ve always had dreams about being involved in creating innovations in this product. I believe that this company is the one company in this industry that is pushing to revolutionize this product.
28. This company is globally known for the products you create, and my experience in this type of technology and developing new products has me interested in this position. I saw that last month you won several awards for the new product you designed, and I would adore being on a team that is as collaborative, hardworking, and resourceful as you.
29. I recently decided the change industries, as my previous line of work wasn’t focusing enough on outreach. Your company is the only one I’ve found in this industry with a passion for outreach, and I want to help.
30. I saw a blog post about your new CEO and the company’s renewed investment in innovation. As a fellow innovator, this drew me to the position with your business because I know that I will absolutely thrive in a situation where innovation is at the top of everything we do.
Things to avoid when answering this interview question
In general, the best things to avoid when answering this question are ones that are less genuine to yourself. Usually, you'll provide a little background on your answer to this question, meaning you'll be telling a short story to assist with the reasoning. If you aren't telling a genuine answer, you'll struggle to tell a compelling or honest story. Avoid saying bland answers, ones that every candidate will say. You need to pick an answer that is going to be reflective of the type of work you will be doing and what you might be able to bring to the table. Last but not least, try not to avoid long pauses when answering this question. You want to let the interviewer know that you were prepared for this question, as it's one that comes up quite frequently. When the interviewer asks, strike with your answer in an eager and excited way. But don't spend too long providing your answer, be brief and impactful.
Related interview questions
If you are looking for related interview questions, the following should be helpful:
What are your leadership examples
Describe your leadership style
How did you hear about this position
What do you know about our company
What motivates you
What makes you unique What interests you about this position
Phone Interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “what motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..