General Manager Job Description: Salary, Duties, Skills
General Managers (or GM) can be found in a variety of industries and verticals. A General Manager (or GM) acts as a CEO within the company, working underneath the VP (Vice President) or CEO level positions. They report directly to senior leadership and act as executors, leaders, and managers for either one or many small lines of businesses that may exist under the corporate structure.
Table Of Contents
General Manager Job Description Sample
General Managers are essentially small CEO's within an organization. They demonstrate exceptional leadership qualities and the ability to execute on a dynamic level. They oversee all aspects of a business line. From sales, marketing, product, customer service and much more. Their day-to-day tasks may include the recruiting, scheduling and coordination of team members. A general manager could go from fixing an issue with the sales team to training a new hire in a given day. They are a multidisciplinary single unit that can problem-solve and act as a conductor to ensuring great work is being done.
General Manager Resume Summary
This is how you might describe your position as a General Manager in a resume summary, executive summary or professional summary:
5+ years management experience, P&L management of $10M+. Team leadership, listening skills, communication, motivation and customer support are my focus.
General Manager National Average Salary
National average salary for General Managers is provided by The U.S. Department of Labor. National averages are a cumulative total average as seen by a non-specific geographic mean average. That means this is the average salary that you might expect to have (regardless of geographic region) when entering into this job function.
National average salary: $36,000 - $103,000
General Manager Duties & Responsibilities
- Building and leading the management team to success
- Managing the associates and junior employees into career development and successful execution
- Driving overall revenue by sustaining existing business lines and exploring new ones
- Managing core KPI's and reporting to senior leadership
- Scheduling staff meetings (weekly, monthly, annually)
- Tracking sales goals and managing a sales team
- Providing constant and consistent feedback to the operatives working with the teams in order to drive world-class execution
General Manager Skills
- Relationship building skills
- Listening skills
- Leadership skills
- Self-motivation skills
- Honesty skills
- Strategic thinking skills
- Problem-solving skills
General Manager Requirements
- 5+ years senior level management experience
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance, marketing or similar field
- Experience coaching and training employees of all types
- Track record of consistent forecasting, grwoth and retainment of revenue
- Ability to be an influencer within the company
Phone Interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..