Unique "Get to Know You" Questions (Work, Students, Kids for 2023)
Looking for the very best get to know you questions? Ever wonder how you can get someone better without sounding unfriendly? It can often be a difficult path to tread, and many people who have trouble making friends. Those who do have trouble usually find “get to know you questions” extremely helpful.
Get to know you questions are extremely versatile. And are an extremely helpful tool for not only making friends, but for building teamwork and candor between people.
What are "get to know you" questions?
What exactly are “get to know you” questions? Well, to put it simply, these questions are, as one may guess, questions that reveal personal information about a person.
Anything from rudimentary information like a person’s name to private questions like what is your favorite childhood memory.
All questions which reveal anything about a particular person qualify as “get to know you" questions.
When and how to ask "get to know you" questions
Let’s say person A and person B are two university pupils. They meet each other during orientation and exchange pleasantries. They later find out they are dorm roommates. Person A tries to make friends with Person B, but finds themselves wondering “how do I get to know him?”.
He comes up with the idea of starting by learning about him to assess their compatibility as friends. But he wonders how he can go about it without sounding investigative.
Time to use "get to know you" questions
The question of how and when to ask get to know you questions arises. If you find yourself in a similar conundrum, here is how you can go about it:
First, there are a few ways these questions can get asked. Similar to 20 questions or 21 questions, it can be a back and forth exchange.
If you choose this path, you can just ask the other person if they are interested in playing the game and set a suitable time. Make this more fun by including some fun activities and lots of snacks.
Second, make sure to choose a time that works well for everyone. Questions like, "what's your favorite family tradition?" Or "Are you a coffee or tea person?" are great for first dates, when desiring to ask a random question. Or when you're bored. Pick a good time for both people!
Student get to know you questions
Teachers or educational institutions can also ask getting to know you questions to students. However, given the delicate nature of their relationship, it is essential to understand which questions are appropriate. Formal relationships such as these need to tread a careful path when utilizing these questions. Some of the top student get to know you questions include:
- Are you allergic to any food or medicine?
- Do you like playing sports?
- Do you like the creative arts?
- Which subject is your favorite and why?
- What is your dream job?
Funny get to know you questions
Funny “get to know you questions” can be used by friends, spouses, dates, and family to uncover embarrassing details about a person. These questions can lead to great bonding between all parties, provided everyone is willing to provide truthful answers.
Some of the funniest questions in this category are:
- What makes you laugh the most?
- What was the most embarrassing thing that happened to you in high school?
- What would it be if you could only eat one dish for the rest of your life?
- What super power would you choose if you could get a super power?
- Who is your favorite superhero?
Workplace get to know you questions
A workplace is a highly formal place. However, several team-building exercises are often experimented with to ensure good teamwork. A session of questions and answers to get to know people can perhaps act as a successful team-building exercise too.
Some workplace-appropriate questions to get to know people can be as follows:
- What workplace habits are your pet peeves?
- What do you expect from your role?
- What do you like doing when you are not working?
- What motivates you to work hard?
Random get to know you questions
If you just want to have a few random get to know you questions that will be suitable for a polite conversation scenario, this list would help you out:
- Who is your hero, or who do you admire the most?
- Which book did you read last? Why did you choose this book?
- Which university did you go to?
- What qualities do you want in your ideal partner?
- If you could only do one thing on a particular day, what would that thing be?
Get to know you questions for guys
Guys are often accused of being closed off. Well, in some cases, they simply do not know what to say or how to say it.
If you find yourself struggling with getting to know a guy, the following questions will be a great help:
- What is your biggest complaint about your job?
- What would you choose, a cozy night with your partner or a boys' night out if you had to choose?
- Do you know how to cook?
- What is your favorite sport?
- What makes you find a girl attractive?
- What is your favorite book?
Get to know you questions for girls
Have you ever gone out on a date with a girl but found yourself struggling with coming up with an interesting topic of conversation? Do you want to know more about the girl but don’t know how to get them to open up?
Well, the following list of get to know you questions will solve both these issues. You can ask these questions when on a date or even when deciding whether you would want to date this girl.
These are rather basic questions, but would reveal significant details about their personalities:
- What would you prioritize, career or family if you had to choose?
- Do you choose guys based on their personalities or their looks?
- Would you choose a girls' night or a cozy night with your partner?
- Do you follow any type of diet?
- What would you sing on a karaoke night?
- What is your ideal first date?
Get to know you questions for couples list
Couples can relate to often feeling, “Oh, this is something I did not know about him/her”. While we can’t promise the following list will cover up everything, these questions will get you answers to some questions that you never knew you had. As a bonus, you will have fewer “oh, I did not know this” moments.
- If you could change something about yourself, what would it be?
- If you could change something about your partner, what would it be?
- What would be your ideal honeymoon destination?
- How do you plan for your future?
- How do you go about financial planning?
"Favorite" get to know you questions list
There are so many get to know you questions beyond the ones in specific categories that we cannot just move on without including them in this article.
Some of the top questions of all time are:
- If you could choose a place to live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- What is your favorite cuisine?
- What is your favorite holiday destination and why?
- What is your favorite show/ series/ movie
- What is your favorite hobby?
- Who is your favorite author?
"What would you do if.." get to know you questions
“What would you do if” questions are a step ahead of the general get to know you questions category.
These are more detailed and reveal more about a person’s traits, personality, and psyche. These scenario-based questions reveal how a person would deal with a specific situation.
Some of the top questions and scenarios in this category include:
- What would you do if trapped in a jungle without food or water?
- What would you do if your friend was bullying someone?
- What would you do if you got into a car accident?
- What would you do if your girlfriend told you she was pregnant?
- What would you do if your parents told you to break up with the love of your life?
- What would you do if a cop stopped you for jaywalking?
"Would you rather" get to know you questions list
Would you rather questions, much like the what would you do if questions reveal more details about a person’s thought process.
How a person would approach a situation or what they would choose between a few different options would reveal their likes and dislikes.
This will also lead to information about what makes them choose certain things and how they perceive different situations.
Some of the top ones include:
- Would you rather be cold or hot?
- Would you rather be fat or skinny and weak?
- Would you rather go to the mountains or the beach?
- Would you rather choose your own wardrobe or rely on the choices of a personal shopper?
- Would you rather be rich and sad or poor and happy?
- Would you rather be famous and have no privacy, or have privacy but never get any fame or recognition?
- Would you rather be sincere in your job or get credit for things you did not do?
Get to know you questions for kids
Get to know you questions for kids can be tricky to come up with. However, these are essential tools to bond with a child. These can be extremely helpful if you are a kindergarten or primary school teacher, a babysitter, a pediatrician, or someone who deals with young children.
Some of the best questions to get to know kids include:
- Who is your best friend?
- What is your favorite color?
- What is your favorite cartoon character? Why do you like them?
- What do you like doing the most?
- Which is your favorite game?
- What is your favorite food?
Fun get to know you questions list
Get to know you question games like 20 questions can be extremely fun. Whether playing the game or just getting to know a person, consider the following questions to uncover a person’s fun side. These questions will reveal a side of the person you never knew existed:
- What was the last movie you watched? How did you like it?
- What genres of movies, music, and TV shows do you like?
- What is your favorite character from a comedy movie or series?
- What is your favorite drink?
- What do you do after five tequila shots?
- What is your favorite zoo animal?
Deep get to know you questions
Deep get to know you questions offer an excellent opportunity to cement your friendship with someone further. These are soul-searching questions that will get the other person to open up about their innermost feelings. Some of the best questions in this category are:
- What is your deepest fear and why?
- What type of life are you working on building?
- What were the most unpleasant experiences you ever had, and how did you overcome them?
- What is an action you took that you regret?
- Is there a chance or opportunity that came your way that you regret not taking?
Team get to know you questions list
Team get to know you questions are outstanding for workplaces and institutions. They allow understanding team members better and their compatibility as a team. Some of the best questions in this category are:
- Who in this team do you best get along with?
- What team-building exercises do you find helpful?
- What characteristics do you want in your team members?
Get to know you questions for school
Schools need to know some information about the students enrolled in them. These can contain anything from basic information to some really important questions. These questions have the potential to save a child from a hazardous situation in the event one arises. Some of the best questions are:
- What is your favorite school period?
- Do you like making new friends?
- Do you like sharing your things?
- Do you have any allergies?
- Are there any health concerns that you need to be cautious about?
- Does your child need any type of extra help?
- What does your child want to be when they grow up?
- Does your child have any difficulty navigating any part of daily life?
- How comfortable is your child in a social situation?
Get to know you questions for coworkers
If you want to know your coworkers better, but do not know if the questions you ask would be appropriate or not, do not worry. The following questions will cover everything you can ask your coworkers and get you any information that is relevant to the workplace:
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- Would you win a lottery and never work in life or create the perfect career for yourself?
- What is your dream job?
- How many days of work week would you like to have?
Text message get to know you questions
Texting has become the go-to language of the current generation. It is how individuals connect with each other. Text messages can be used as a great opportunity to get to know someone. Some of the best text message get to know you questions include:
- Have you ever used dating apps?
- Do you like to go dancing?
- Have you had a nickname that you hated?
- What are your top pet peeves?
- What makes you dislike a person?
- What is your most hated social situation?
- How many shoes do you own?
- How many watches do you own?
- What is your favorite accessory to adorn?
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
An ice breaker question is a question that’s asked from one person to another person in order to act as a conversation starter. It brings a connection...
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..