Top Funny Interview Questions with Example Answers
What happens if you get asked funny interview questions? What do you do? You've been preparing for an interview, hoping to get hired for the job, thinking of yourself as the best potential candidate, when suddenly the interview takes unexpected situations.
The first three things the hiring manager asks you is 'Do you like hot chocolate?' 'What would you bring with you on a deserted island?' 'What's the funniest thing you've ever heard?' Unprepared, you freeze, and suddenly, you feel you may have not gotten the job.
Well, the good news is, we're here to help you tackle all of those weird interview questions that could come up in your next interview.
In this article, we're going to go over job interviews and the funny questions you may or may not get asked by a interviewer. Here, we'll even be providing you sample answers-and maybe even the right answer to some of the weirdest interview questions that could come up.
Keep reading to learn more.
Why might funny interview questions get asked?
Funny interview questions may be asked to evaluate if you fit in with the rest of the team. These questions are asked by potential employers to obtain a sense of your actual nature, assess your ability to think fast, and start a dialogue. Your responses reflect your critical thinking, creative thinking, problem-solving talents, and capacity to operate under pressure.
Let's first talk normal interview questions
Oftentimes, in an interview, we get asked about a lot of different things-all of which make sense for the interview. Questions about life, money, how to problem solve and your work ethic make tons of sense. But sometimes, to see your thought process, interviewers will ask you some funny interview questions as well as some weird interview questions.
Normal interview questions can include things like:
- Why did you leave your last job?
- How did you feel about your previous boss?
- Do you feel you are a good leader?
- Do you see yourself working this job for the long run?
Moreover, a lot of times, hiring managers ask specific questions about your skill sets and about the job you're applying for itself.
Now let's talk funny questions and unique interview questions
As we mentioned earlier, sometimes, to understand your thought process, hiring managers may ask you to describe or explain interesting things in an interview you may have never seen coming.
If you're working in sales, this may even be a tactic to see how well you can sell something, like sell hot chocolate. Oftentimes, these funny questions are for commercial purposes, but other times, it's to break the ice and get to know you more.
Another reason hiring managers may ask unique interview questions is to test your knowledge on the subject you're wanting a career in and to see if your skills are the right skills for the company and meet the company's culture.
Here's an example
Let's say you're applying to be a baseball coach, which only a small percentage of people apply for every year.
The hiring manager may ask you this:
- What's the name of the player on first plate? What's the name of the player on second plate?
If you have no knowledge of baseball, you might not know the answer to these questions.
Remember, you always have to sell yourself in an interview as the best potential candidate.
Here's another example
Let's say you're applying to be a martial arts instructor.
You're not going to get asked questions about traffic lights or what you should put on a spice rack. No. You're going to get asked questions about your fighting styles, leadership experience and your ability to work with kids.
We hear you. These questions can get pretty specific, but that's just the way the world works.
Let's look at one more example
Let's say your career aspirations are to sell your own ice cream in a truck. With that said, with an ice cream truck coming to your neighborhood, as a young worker, you may ask the ice cream man for a job. You may have even felt like you won a lottery ticket when he tells you that he'll interview you for. a job.
During that interview, the first thing he asks you is these questions:
- What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?
- How many bowls of ice cream have you ever served in your life?
- What do your problem solving skills look like if the truck were to break down or you accidentally ran over garden gnomes when pulling up to a house?
- How much money do you think an ice cream man makes?
- What is the most popular ice cream flavor in the world?
- Give me a minimum number of ice creams you think we should sell in a day.
- When did you last gift, if ever, ice cream to someone?
- How many windows should the truck selling ice cream have?
These are all valid questions for the ice cream man to ask in the room while you're getting interview, and it's important for you to get the right answers for these questions to impress the interviewer.
What if I've already done the interview?
If you've done your interview and feel like you might've blown it when it came to the funny question part of the interview, you may be feeling like you want a time machine to go back and do things right.
If you didn't get this opportunity, there will always be another one. It may not be the answer you want to hear, frankly, but it's the truth. And trust us, you're not making your parents disappointed.
What to do at the job interview
Interview questions can vary so much depending on the job you're applying for-and they can get so random.
Here are some more weird interview questions you can get asked, with example answers:
Example, witty answers to funny interview questions.
How many bicycles should you sell a day?
Example answer: "It depends on whether cars have gotten invented or not."
How many house painters should you contract?
Example answer: "Depends on the size of the contract."
How many traffic lights should there be in one city quadrant?
Example answer: "Assuming that there's only one person who lives in the town, there shouldn't be any traffic lights."
How many flowers per vase?
Example answer: "As many as you can get into the vase, it's for a friend or loved one."
How many bottles of water do you serve a table?
Example answer: "At least one, then as many as you can hold in your hands."
Are manholes round?
Example answer: "Depends on the man we're talking about. And whether he appreciates people talking about his hole."
How many games do you set up for the party you've been hired to work?
Example answer: "How many guests are attending the event? If there's only one guest, then the games might make someone sad that there isn't more attendee's."
How many sandwiches do you pre-prepare?
Example answer: "As many as you can support."
Which fictional character does it make sense for you to dress up as?
Example answer: "I would definitely want to be Buzz Lightyear. To infinity and beyond!"
How do you escape a sealed room when your life is in danger?
Example answer: "Start digging and hope there's something beneath you. If there isn't, start climbing to see if the ceiling is hallow."
What superpower would you choose if you could have any, and why?
Example answer: "If I could have any ability, I'd want to fly—partly because I despise traffic, and partly because I've never seen things from a bird's-eye view before, other than via the window of an airplane."
What would you do if you were the only person left alive after a plane crash?
Example answer: "I'd be pleased that I flew alone that day, and I'd likely complete additional hours of flight instruction before flying a plane again," for example.
Are you a hunter or a gatherer?
Example answer: "I work as a hunter. I enjoy pursuing my goals and closing transactions that appear hard to discover or complete. I love learning new things and exploring new methods to accomplish things."
When you're alone in a car, what do you think about?
Example answer: "If it's late at night, I usually reflect on what good I've done that day, and if it's early in the morning, I consider how I may be my best that day. To prevent distractions, I also attempt to cultivate appreciation and live in the present moment while driving."
What's the color of money?
Example answer: "The hue of money varies depending on the country. For example, in the United States, money is green, but in Canada, money comes in a variety of hues."
If both a taxi and a limo were priced the exact same, which one would you choose?
Example answer: "I would certainly choose the limo, because I could ride in style while still making sure that I can fit more than one person in the vehicle with me. And the limo can still be used as a taxi if I signed up for Uber. It's the best choice, hands down."
If a phone had no dial tone, how would you fix it?
Example answer: "I would try to create a clicking sound that activated on the phone itself, whenever the phone was ready to get used. I would created this clicking sound by increasing the wattage of electricity that was going through the headset."
You are given an elephant. You are unable to sell or give it away. What are your plans for the elephant?
Example answer: "I'd probably feed an elephant, sell my vehicle, and ride it to work if someone offered me an elephant that I couldn't sell or give away. I save money this way, and the elephant gets some exercise."
You probably won't get asked the same questions every time
No matter how many interviews you go to for different companies applying for the same role, you'll most likely not get asked the same questions the same time. So be sure to be ready to describe and answer any question thrown your way-it will really show the interviewer you're good on your feet.
Whatever questions you are asked, know you've got this
Sometimes in life, it's difficult to prepare in advance for the interview questions you're going to get asked by the interviewer, but that's okay. Just remember to read the room, answer the questions, describe all you need to, and be yourself, doing your best.
Funny interview questions list
Here are funny interview questions to ask during an interview.
- You are given an elephant. You are unable to sell or give it away. What are your plans for the elephant?
- What superpower would you choose if you could have any, and why?
- Why are manholes shaped like this?
- What sort of tree would you be if you were a tree, and why?
- What hue does money come in?
- If you were shipwrecked on a remote island with all of your food and water needs met, what two objects would you take with you?
- Are you a hunter or a gatherer?
- What was the most recent present you gave?
- What animal would you choose to compare yourself to, and why?
- What would you do if a penguin was discovered in your freezer?
- Would you rather battle a hundred horse-sized ducks or a single horse-sized duck?
- Describe the color red to a blind person.
- What would you do if you were the only person left alive after a plane crash?
- What music would you select if you could play it every time you went into a room for the rest of your life, and why?
- In a perfect world, how do you believe people would communicate?
- Which state would you eliminate if you had the chance, and why?
- If you could, what advise would you provide to your prior boss?
- What has been the most amusing event that has happened to you recently?
- In New York, how many windows are there?
- When you're alone in a car, what do you think about?
- If you had the chance, would you go back to high school?
- What would you say in your eulogy?
- In the heat, how would you sell hot chocolate in Florida?
- What would you start if I handed you $50,000 to start your own business?
- Would you rather travel to the future or the past if you had a time machine?
- Which fictional character do you most relate to, and why?
- Explain to someone from another planet what this profession entails.
- Which children's film scares you the most?
- What would you do if you had to work but didn't need the money?
- What is your favorite feature of the human face?
How to answer funny interview questions
Here are some tips to answering funny interview questions.
Think about the question
Your interviewer should note how thoughtfully you analyze your responses to these questions. Organize your thoughts and choose the finest response that best portrays your genuine personality so that the interviewer may learn more about you and your thought process.
Have fun, be honest
There may be amusing interview questions that are difficult to answer, but there are no incorrect answers, so be truthful when responding. The interviewer is interested in learning more about you, so don't worry too much about how they could perceive your responses and instead have fun with them.
Ask a clarifying question if you aren't sure
If you have any doubts about a question, you should ask the interviewer to explain it. The information they supply you with may assist you in providing them with a more appropriate response.
Mention your thought process
Rather than stressing the end answer, explain how you went about addressing the question. Your interviewer will obtain insight into your critical thinking talents if you describe your method.
- Phone Interview Tips
- Congratulations on Your New Job
- Questions to Ask Business Owners
- Out of Office Message
- How to Start a Cover Letter
- How to Hold Yourself Accountable
- Letter of Retirement
- Voicemail Messages
- Funny Interview Questions
- What Gets You Up in the Morning
Our favorite resources are included below.
Job interview resources
- Common Interview Questions by Marquette University
- Prepare for Behavioral Interview Questions by Marquette University
- Preparing for Job Interviews by the University of Kansas
- Mock Interview Handbook by CSUCI
- Interview Guidebook by Lebanon Valley College
Resume and cover letter resources
- Writing a Resume and Cover Letter by USC
- Resume Writing Tips by the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Resume and Cover Letter Guide by Harvard University
Job search resources
Related Hiring Resources
- Funny Cat Names (250+ Female, Male, Black, and Orange Ideas for 2022)
- Funny Names (85+ Hilarious Names, Dirty Names, Kahoot Names)
- Super Funny Private Story Names for Snapchat (2022 Ranked)
- Uniquely Funny Questions to Ask a Girl (200+ Ranked for 2022)
- Super Funny Wi-Fi Names (150+ Ranked for 2022)
- Funny Gamertags (Epic List for Xbox, PS4, Girls, Guys in 2022)
- Super Funny Tinder Pick Up Lines (Guys, Girls, Best for 2022)
- Top Funny Puns (Kids, Valentine's, Taco, and Short for 2022)
- Top Funny Boat Names (2022 Ranked List)
- Unique Funny Phrases (350+ English, Italian, Spanish for 2022)
- Funny Fish Names (150+ LOL Betta Fish and Goldfish Names for 2022)
- Top Funny COD Names (1000+ Ideas for 2022)
- Seriously Funny Pick-up Lines (LOL for 2022)
- Totally Funny Pick-up Lines for Her (LOL in 2022)
- Super Funny Pick-up Lines for Him (LOL in 2022)
- Insanely Funny Insults and Comebacks (120+ Best Insults for 2022)
- 110 Funny Trivia Questions & Answers (LOL) for 2022
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
An ice breaker question is a question that’s asked from one person to another person in order to act as a conversation starter. It brings a connection...
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..