Best Goodbye Email to Coworkers & Managers Example (+ How to Write One)
A farewell email or farewell letter is a personalized and heartfelt thank you written on behalf of an employee who is resigning from their duties. This goodbye email is normally written and sent on the last working day of employment by the employee.
A farewell message and goodbye email is considered a polite and kind act on behalf of the coworker who is leaving the company. It shows that the employee is leaving the company on “good terms” and has a strong respect for their boss, colleagues, and other employees as they move onto a new position and new job.
Guidelines for Writing and Sending a Farewell Email
As an employee who is departing from the company, here are a few guidelines to follow to ensure your farewell email is written and sent with success:
- Never send a mass email or group email farewell to the entire company.
- Include your personal email address information as part of the email.
- Keep the message a personal email. Share a goodbye message that is sincere.
- Wish the team members continued success and good luck with their future work.
- Send a personalized and heartfelt message to those you cared about at work.
- Show your gratitude for the position and the opportunity at all times.
- Emphasize the good time had working with them and the positive impression they left on you.
- Wish them luck on any future endeavors.
- Send the email or letter on the final day of employment.
- (Optional) Ask for career advice going into your new role.
- (Optional) If retiring, include the retirement letter along with the goodbye email.
When writing a goodbye letter of this kind, it’s okay to keep the message informal rather than writing a formal letter. A formal letter writing style may be better suited for the resignation letter that is submitted to a supervisor, manager, or boss. This email is heartfelt and personal, meaning it can be written informally. Share sweet memories in this message with the awesome colleagues at work.
Who Should Receive a Goodbye Email
When writing a goodbye email, depending on the type of business the employee is apart of, they should consider sending emails to the following individuals:
- The direct report, supervisor, manager, and boss (or CEO).
- Each close colleague and person the employee had close work with.
- Clients if the role is to manage outside relationships.
In the event the employee works for a service business, it is customary to inform clients in advance of the impending change in employment. From there, a farewell email can be sent on the final day of employment.
Sample Farewell Letter and Email to Coworkers
Email subject line: I wanted to say thank you for everything!
Sample Farewell Letter and Email to Managers
Email subject line: You've been a mentor to me, thank you!
Resignation Letter Resources
Additional resignation letter resources.
By Job Title
- Maternity Leave
- Board Resignation
- Personal Reasons
- New Job
- Better Salary and Benefits
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..