Best Two Weeks Notice Letter Example and Template (+ How to Write One) 
A two weeks notice letter is a specific type of resignation letter from an employee that sets their employment end date two weeks from the receipt of the resignation. The employee is requesting that their end of employment be no longer than two weeks from the current date. Upon receipt of the resignation letter, the employer should begin the transition period with the employee.
Providing a notice period of adequate notice to your employer is important. Anything less than a “2 weeks notice” would be considered not enough advance notice to pay respect to your employer, boss or manager, and the role. When an employee signs an employment contract with a new job and company, the new employer often offers two weeks for the employee to separate from their previous company and transition to another. This is considered standard practice when ending an employment relationship.
Tip: Resigning from your current job with grace allows you to ask your former employer for a letter of recommendation. If you feel like you want to quit on the spot, remind yourself there’s a better way to resign that will advance your career.
The Two Weeks Notice Resignation Process
As an employee, here is what you should expect from your current employer when you begin your formal resignation process:
- Once the employee submits their resignation with proper notice, the company will begin the process of transitioning you away from the job duties and requirements.
- The current employer will mark the employee’s requested end date.
- A final two weeks of employment goals will be set for the colleague.
- A person from the HR department or manager will perform an exit interview toward the end of the two weeks of employment. An exit interview will record the employee’s perspective on the role, job, and ways the company can perform better.
- The employee receives their final paycheck.
Tip: It’s imperative to leave on good terms with your current employer, even if as a current employee you’re disgruntled with your role, the culture, or other. Providing only one week of notice would be considered a poor way to exit the company and could result in leaving the company or quitting on poor terms.
How to Write a Two Weeks Notice Letter
When writing a formal resignation letter and two weeks notice, here is what to consider in your letter:
- Keep your writing in formal letter style, using proper grammar, punctuation, and professional language.
- Use standard business letter format.
- Address your current company and manager in your greeting.
- Share a memorable experience about your coworker and now former employer.
- Thank your employer for the opportunity and extend the desire to keep a professional relationship as a former employee.
- Extend the opportunity to help transition out of the current position.
- Set your desired end date to two weeks from the receipt date of the letter.
Tip: It’s better to write a formal resignation letter as your notice than writing a resignation email. Your email should be to notify your manager and HR department of your resignation but include a letter as an attachment.
Two Weeks Notice Sample Resignation Letter
Two Weeks Notice Email Subject Line
Here are a few examples of email subject lines you can use when sending your two weeks notice:
- “Resignation of [Your Name] Effective [Agreed Upon End Date]”
- “[Your Name] Resignation Effective [Agreed Upon End Date]”
- “Resignation Effective [Agreed Upon End Date]”
- “Relieving [Your Name] of Duties on [Agreed Upon End Date]”
Two Weeks Notice Email
Below is a sample email sending a "two weeks notice" resignation letter.
Below are resignation letters and free templates.
By Job Title
- Maternity Leave
- Board Resignation
- Personal Reasons
- New Job
- Better Salary and Benefits
- Hostile Work Environment
- Unhappy with Management
- Unfair Treatment
- Immediate Resignation Letter
- Two Weeks Notice
- Short Notice Resignation Letter
- 24 Hours Notice
- Part-Time Job
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..