Best Line Cook Job Description Sample (+ Free Template Download)
A line cook (or chef de partie) is a chef in charge of a particular focus area of the food production within a restaurant. In large kitchen settings, each line cook or chef de partie may have several cooks working alongside them. The line cook is responsible for the preparation, cooking, and plating of food.
A line cook may have various job titles like line chef, chef de partie, prep cook, restaurant cook, and assistant cook.
Line Cook Job Description Sample
Our premier establishment is seeking a professional line cook or chef de partie to add to our kitchen staff. The line cook will prepare, cook, and plate our elegant meals for the restaurant patrons. The line cook will take guidance from our lead line cook, handle all food preparation, ingredients, and use various cooking methods to prepare their portion of the dish or meal. An experienced line cook should have two years of experience and would have completed culinary school.
Line Cook Duties and Responsibilities
Below are sample job duties and line cook responsibilities:
- Operate and manage kitchen equipment to assist with food preparation.
- Prepare food products the night before and morning of food service.
- Ability to operate a wok and use a wide variety of culinary techniques and culinary arts.
- Take instructions from the sous chef, head chef and executive chef.
- Follow the instructions of food preparation, food safety, and food quality control as mandated by the restaurant manager.
- Handle a vegetable preparation station (peeling, cutting, sauteing, and browning vegetables).
- Take food items from the kitchen and prepare them for meal service.
Line Cook Requirements
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Associates Degree in Culinary Arts.
- Previous experience in a line cook position or similar job title is preferred.
- Previous cooking experience is required.
- Ability to work long hours.
- Ability to work on your feet for long periods of time.
- Ability to develop the skill of cooking over time.
Line Cook Salary
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, a line cook earns $12.67 per hour, on average. Equalling $26,300 in median annual salary.
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template
- Step 1: Replace the job duties and requirements based on information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Then post on a job board.
Top Job Boards
Related Hiring ResourcesLine Cook Resume Example - Free Template
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..