Best Line Cook Job Description for 2022
Free line cook job description. A line cook (or chef de partie) is a chef in charge of a particular focus area of the restaurant's food production. In large kitchen settings, each line cook or chef de partie may have several cooks working alongside them. The line cook is responsible for the preparation, cooking, and plating of food.
A line cook may have various job titles like line chef, chef de partie, prep cook, restaurant cook, and assistant cook.
Line Cook Job Description Sample and Template
Use the following job description sample to write a job posting or job advertisement.
Job Brief for Line Cooks
Our premier establishment is seeking a professional line cook or chef de partie to add to our kitchen staff. The line cook will prepare, cook, and plate our elegant meals for the restaurant patrons. The line cook will take guidance from our lead line cook. And handle all food preparation, ingredients, and various cooking methods to prepare their portion of the dish or meal. An experienced line cook should have two years of experience and would have completed culinary school.
Line Cook Duties and Responsibilities
Below are sample job duties and line cook responsibilities:
- Operate and manage kitchen equipment to assist with food preparation.
- Prepare food products the night before and morning of food service.
- Ability to operate a wok and use a wide variety of culinary techniques and culinary arts.
- Take instructions from the sous-chef, head chef and executive chef.
- Follow the instructions of food preparation, food safety, and food quality control as mandated by the restaurant manager.
- Handle a vegetable preparation station (peeling, cutting, sautéing, and browning vegetables).
- Take food items from the kitchen and prepare them for meal service.
- Assist with prepping food and plating dishes according to a restaurant’s menu specifications.
- Comply with nutrition standards and safety standards.
- Ensure food storage areas meet health and safety standards.
- Set up stock food items and other supplies.
- Filet fish, combine salads, herbs and spices, and portion dishes with precision.
- Assist with chopping vegetables, washing vegetables, and prepping food.
- Cover a food station, like preparing sauces or other dressings.
- Ability to have a positive and professional approach to all kitchen requirements.
- Follow nutrition and sanitation regulations.
Line Cook Requirements
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- Must be at least 17 years of age as noted by the American Culinary Federation.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Associates Degree in Culinary Arts.
- Previous experience in a line cook position or similar job title is preferred.
- Previous cooking experience is required.
- Ability to work long hours.
- Willing to complete on the job training.
- Can work on your feet for long periods of time.
- Able to develop the skill of cooking over time.
- Familiar with industry best practices.
- Ability to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills.
Related: Prep Cook Job Description
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, a line cook earns $12.67 per hour, on average. Equalling $26,300 in median annual salary. The top earners in this field earn an hourly wage of $18.27, per hour.
Top candidates have the following skills:
- Skilled prep work skills.
- Cooking expertise.
- Organizational skills.
- Cooperation skills.
- Time management skills.
- Instruction following skills.
- Instruction giving skills.
- Ability to follow safe food handling procedures.
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Related job descriptions
Download the free line cook job description PDF template. And use the sample line cook job description provided to make an efficient job posting for your company. For more information please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Line Cook Job Description Template
Download our job description template in Word or PDF format. Instant download. No email required.Download Template
All job descriptions
35+ Phone Interview Questions & Best Sample Answers
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
12+ Best Questions To Ask A Recruiter
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering "What Makes You Unique" In A Job Interview
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
250+ Ice Breaker Questions for Life
An ice breaker question is a question that’s asked from one person to another person in order to act as a conversation starter. It brings a connection...
10 Best Answers to "What Motivates You?"
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
Answering "How Did You Hear About This Position" In An Interview
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
8 Best Thank You Emails After an Interview (Samples, Free Templates)
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing a Resignation Letter (How To Write It, Samples)
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
How to End a Letter (Example Salutations, Sign Off's)
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..