Best Substitute Teacher Job Description Sample (+ Free Template Download)
A substitute teacher is a temporary substitute for a primary teaching position. This temporary teacher fills a primary educator’s role while on leave for personal reasons, health reasons, or maternity reasons. This educator is a professional who teaches a school classroom when the primary teacher is unavailable.
Substitute Teacher Job Description Sample
Our education system is seeking a temporary and long term substitute teacher to help fill positions for a regular teacher while experiencing illness, maternity leave, or other absence reasons during the school year. The substitute teacher will fill the absent teacher position, pick up existing lesson plans, and begin classroom instruction as normal. A substitute teacher must follow all district requirements and code of conduct.
Substitute Teacher Duties and Responsibilities
Below are sample responsibilities and job duties of a substitute teacher:
- Pick up the primary teacher lesson plan and begin classroom instruction immediately.
- Prepare all instructional material needs for the classroom.
- Perform general classroom management duties.
- Review each student assignment and grade homework.
- Create a classroom environment conducive to student learning.
- Follow public school and school district curriculum requirements.
- Work closely with students to educate, review course material, and more.
- Be a collaborative staff member with other faculty members.
- Assume the substitute teaching position until the regular teacher resumes responsibilities.
Substitute Teacher Qualifications
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education.
- Master’s Degree in Education preferred.
- State teacher certification required.
- Experience with in-classroom management.
- Experience as a classroom teacher or “regular classroom teacher” preferred.
- Minimum requirement of 2 years as an educator.
- Special education experience preferred.
- Elementary school experience preferred.
- Must have a flexible schedule.
Substitute Teacher Salary
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, a substitute teacher earns $15.15 per hour, on average. Equalling $31,510 in median annual wages.
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template
- Step 1: Replace the job duties and requirements based on information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Then post on a job board.
Top Job Boards
Related Hiring ResourcesSubstitute Teacher Cover Letter Sample
5+ Best Substitute Teacher Interview Questions & Answers
Substitute Teacher Resume Example [2020 Updated]
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..