Substitute Teacher Job Description Sample
A Substitute Teacher is someone who fills in when a resident teacher is not available. There could be a number of reasons why the resident teacher would not be able to attend. A death in the family to illness. A Substitute Teacher is called into a district when this happens and helps to ensure all class material continues to move forward with the designated curriculum.
Table Of Contents
Substitute Teacher Job Description Sample
Substitute Teachers play a critical roll in the development of our youth. Primarily, Substitute Teachers place their focus on the K-12 grade levels. All classrooms must have the appropriate adult supervision in the classrooms. When resident teachers are not able to attend the class for the day due to a number of reasons (death in the family, illness or other) a Substitute Teacher is called on. A typical Substitute Teacher day includes the management of the classroom, reviewing class material, ensuring the class course is on schedule, taking attendance, taking notes as to what was covered in the curriculum and attending all teacher meetings.
Substitute Teacher Resume Summary
This is how you might describe your position as a Substitute Teacher in a resume summary, executive summary or professional summary:
5+ years working as a TA. Passion for education. Able to manage larger classroom sizes. PEL certified. Substitute License. Ability to be flexible with working hours.
Substitute Teacher National Average Salary
National average salary for a Substitute Teacher is provided by The U.S. Department of Labor. National averages are a cumulative total average as seen by a non-specific geographic mean average. That means this is the average salary that you might expect to have (regardless of geographic region) when entering into this job function.
National average salary: $8.40/hr - $19.80/hr
Substitute Teacher Duties & Responsibilities
- Meet and instruct the classroom in the location and times designated
- Maintain a classroom environment that is professional and conducive to education
- Report on all class material that was covered for the allotted time of substitution
- Employe instructional techniques to ensure students are learning at their highest ability
- Strive for greatness in the classroom by embracing educational media types
- Establish healthy relationships with students in order to educate clearly, effectively, and efficiently
Substitute Teacher Skills
- Verbal communication skills
- Influence skills
- Leadership skills
- Organizational skills
- Time management skills
- Detail-oriented skills
Substitute Teacher Requirements
- 1+ years working alongside students in a classroom
- Strong ability to manage a classroom of students
- Ability to pass State & FBI background checks if requested
- Strong belief that every child has a unique learning ability and a passion to tapping into that
- Bachelor's degree in Education a plus
- High School or GED education required
- Any state level educator license (PEL) or Substitute License
Other Substitute Teacher Resources
Other Teacher Resources
- Learn how to write the ideal cover letter when applying for a teaching position - 2 Cover Letter Templates For Teachers (Copy + Paste Ready)
- Learn how to write the ideal cover letter when applying for a substitute teaching position - 2 Substitute Teacher Cover Letter Templates (Copy + Paste Ready)
- Learn what the top five mistakes are and how to avoid them, when writing a cover letter for a teaching position - 5 Cover Letter Mistakes Teachers Should Avoid (+ Examples)
- Learn what the five best teacher aide interview questions and answers are - 5+ Best Teacher Aide Interview Questions & Answers
- Learn what the five best teacher assistant interview questions and answers are - 5+ Best Teacher Assistant Interview Questions & Answers
Using This Substitute Teacher Job Description Template
In order to use your new substitute teacher job description template, follow the instructions below.
- Step one: Copy and paste all sections into a new Word Document (Job Description Sample, Duties, Skills, and Requirements).
- Step two: Customize your requirements or duties to anything special to your environment. Be sure that you meet with either executive staff members or team members to qualify what requirements need to be met.
- Step three: When posting your job online, be sure to include an average salary range as this can help to prevent applicants who don't meet your criteria. Salary ranges are provided in each template.
- Step four: Before posting your job, be sure to check with your team and ensure all descriptions, duties, and requirements are accurate. This will save you from potential miscommunications during the interview process.
Related Hiring ResourcesSubstitute Teacher Cover Letter Sample
5+ Best Substitute Teacher Interview Questions & Answers
Substitute Teacher Resume Example
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..