Database Administrator Job Description (2022)
Free database administrator job description. A database administrator is a software engineer that focuses on planning, installing, configuring, designing, migrating, and monitoring databases. Database administrators are sometimes referred to as "DBAs." They assist with evaluating database software purchases, supervise the modifications of existing databases, maintain the performance and integrity of existing databases, and ensure that data is stored securely.
Database Administrator Job Description Template & Sample
Use the following job description as a guide and template when writing a job description for a job advertisement. Use the basic details provided below. Ask employees within the company for their specific requirements of the position before posting the job advertisement. Sample database administrator job description.
Database Administrator Job Brief
Our company is seeking a talented and passionate database administrator (or DBA) to join our team of engineers. The database administrator plays a pivotal role in ensuring data security, data integrity, and accessibility. An administrator might assist with designing database systems, building/designing APIs, building automated database backups, and assisting with other database requirements for the engineering team.
The database administrator ensures that data leaks are not present within our systems. And that all data is staying compliant according to our company policies and engineering policies. There will be close collaboration with data analysts, software engineers, operations engineerings, and product/project managers.
An additional component of this job is ensuring that databases are running 24/7, allowing for software applications for all end users and customers to function as expected. The database administrator will work closely with the software operations team to monitor for backend performance, front-end performance, and general flaws with information systems.
Database Administrator Duties and Responsibilities
Sample job duties and responsibilities include:
- Communicate with end users and gather system and database design requirements.
- Determine document store policies for the sake of security and data integrity.
- Monitor existing databases for performance issues.
- Implement changes to databases and apply software or hardware patches.
- Work closely with other software engineers and DBA's to monitor for downtime.
- Provide data silo and data management support.
- Enable data distribution to customers, users, and other employees of the company.
- Assist with hiring other software engineers, administrators, and data analysts.
- Help with front-end and backend third-party tools.
- Assess performance issues, perform database maintenance, and use software engineering to improve data performance.
- Build databases, systems, and other data silos.
- Monitor for security issues, ensure data safety, and monitor for potential data leaks.
Database Administrator Requirements
Qualified candidates should have the following requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology/Computer Science or a related field with a certification in database administration.
- 1-3 years as a database administrator/DBA is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with a variety of database systems (No DB systems).
- Keen communication skills, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail.
- Strong familiarity with SQL databases is preferred.
- Strong familiarity with database design, documentation, and general coding.
- Experience working with APIs and SQL servers is a plus.
- Previous experience working in an agile software development environment is strongly preferred. Comfort working closely with a SCRUM master, project manager, or product manager.
Related job descriptions
Download the free database administrator job description PDF template. And use the sample database administrator job description provided to make an efficient job posting for your company. For more information please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Database Administrator Job Description Template
Download our job description template in Word or PDF format. Instant download. No email required.Download Template
All job descriptions
35+ Phone Interview Questions & Best Sample Answers
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
12+ Best Questions To Ask A Recruiter
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering "What Makes You Unique" In A Job Interview
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
250+ Ice Breaker Questions for Life
An ice breaker question is a question that’s asked from one person to another person in order to act as a conversation starter. It brings a connection...
10 Best Answers to "What Motivates You?"
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
Answering "How Did You Hear About This Position" In An Interview
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
8 Best Thank You Emails After an Interview (Samples, Free Templates)
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing a Resignation Letter (How To Write It, Samples)
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
How to End a Letter (Example Salutations, Sign Off's)
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..