Accounts Payable Clerk Job Description (2021)
Free accounts payable job description. An accounts payable clerk is a finance professional that works in the accounting and finance department. This professional handles all incoming bills and invoices for a business. This includes business travel expenses (like hotel reservations, airline fees, and car rentals), vendor payments, and internal payments (like employee reimbursements).
An accounts payable clerk is sometimes referred to as an accounting clerk, accounts payable manager, and accounts payable specialist.
Accounts Payable Clerk Job Description Sample
Our finance department is seeking an accounts payable specialist (accounts payable clerk) to oversee our incoming invoice (internal and external). The accounts payable clerk will practice daily operations of reviewing incoming invoices, mark whether they are internal or external expenses, and process payments. This includes processing vendor invoices. The accounts payable clerk should follow our standard payable process and procedures.
Accounts Payable Clerk Duties and Responsibilities
Below are sample job duties and accounts payable clerk responsibilities:
- Work closely with an auditing clerk, accounts payable manager, and payable coordinator to review a general ledger.
- Review each expense report submitted by employees for reimbursement requests.
- Handle bi-weekly payroll.
- Check daily and weekly for unpaid invoices and close them or make them as closed.
- Review a purchase order and receipt for any vendor invoices submitted.
- Practice general bookkeeping principles.
- Work closely with the rest of the accounts payable department and other payable professionals (receivable clerks).
- Keep financial records of all transactions.
- Close monthly reports for the senior accounts manager or accountant on staff.
- Take responsibility for all incoming invoices (reimbursements, vendor invoices, and internal payments like payroll).
- Process each employee payment on schedule.
Accounts Payable Clerk Requirements
Qualified candidates should have the following qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Associate’s Degree in Finance and Accounting okay.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance and Accounting preferred.
- Previous experience in an accounts payable function preferred.
- Ability to work with accounting software like Quickbooks, Microsoft Excel, and other computer software.
Accounts Payable Clerk Salary
According to Salary.com, an accounts payable clerk earns $43,286 in median annual wages, on average. With the top percentile of workers earning $52,578 per year, on average. And entry-level workers earning $35,268 per year, on average.
Accounts Payable Clerk Skills
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the accounts payable position requires these top skills:
- Computer skills. Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks need to be comfortable using computer spreadsheets and bookkeeping software.
- Detail-oriented. Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks are responsible for producing accurate financial records. They must pay attention to detail in order to avoid making errors and recognize errors that others have made.
- Integrity. Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks have control of an organization’s financial documentation, which they must use properly and keep confidential. It is vital that they keep records transparent and guard against misusing an organization’s funds.
- Math skills. Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks deal with numbers daily and should be comfortable with basic arithmetic.
In addition, Staffing in Dallas says that these skills make high-quality accounts payable candidates:
- Ability to maintain general ledgers.
- Organizational skills.
- Proficient in payroll functions, procedures, and carrying out a general accounting principle.
Accounts Payable Job Boards
There are many job boards specific to the accounting and finance industry. Job seekers and employers should use these specialty job boards before deciding to move to another national job board. Or a local job board through a community center, city/township Facebook group, or other.
Top accounts payable job boards
When posting a job advertisement for an open accounts payable position, it's advised to post the job on a "niche" job board. Before posting on a national job board like Indeed, Dice.com, or Monster. The "niche" job boards contain job seekers with a higher degree of passion for the position. And a greater desire to advance themselves through their careers.
Related job descriptions
Download the free accounts payable job description PDF template. And use the sample accounts payable job description provided to make an efficient job posting for your company. For more information please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
All job descriptions
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
An ice breaker question is a question that’s asked from one person to another person in order to act as a conversation starter. It brings a connection...
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..