Forklift Operator Job Description: Salary, Duties, Skills
When you apply for a job as a forklift operator, you'll be driving industrial trucks and specializing in warehouse transportation. Your primary responsibilities will include loading and unloading materials for warehouses, identifying damages to vehicles, and optimizing loads to ensure operational efficiency.
Table Of Contents
Forklift Operator Job Description Sample
Our company is in search of several technically skilled candidates who have strong attention to detail to work for us as forklift operators. Your responsibilities will include scheduling maintenance and repairs, optimizing loads for optimal efficiency, using RF scanning equipment to manage inventory, and other various duties. Successful candidates will be transporting valuable items, using good hand-eye coordination, and requiring diligence.
Forklift Operator Salary
According to data collected in 2019 by PayScale, the national average salary for a forklift operator is $38,477.00 per year. That equates to $14.09 per hour. An entry-level forklift operator can expect to see an income of $12.79 per hour if they have less than one year of experience. Those who have been working in the field for twenty years or longer are reporting salaries of $15.66 per hour or higher.
Forklift Operator Job Description For The Resume (Resume Summary)
Forklift driver with over five years experience in warehouse general labor and forklift operation. Comfortable working within industrial environments. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. I can work efficiently with a variety of team members with diverse backgrounds and personalities. Hardworking, motivated, and can perform substantial work, routinely lifting between 25 and 80 pounds.
Forklift Operator Skills
A forklift operator’s soft skills are just as essential as their education and background. If they’re not physically fit, dependable, or can work as a team player, then this individual may not be an ideal candidate. Therefore, you must include soft skills in a job description to ensure candidates understand their expectations for this role.
- Strong work ethic.
- High level of patience.
- Works well under pressure.
- Superb organizational skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Can work well independently or supervised.
- Incredible attention to detail.
- Works well as a team player.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Can adapt and is flexible to change.
- Reliable and dependable.
Forklift Operator Duties & Responsibilities
Because forklifts are used in a broad range of indoor and outdoor facilities, it isn't uncommon to see a significant number of differences in job descriptions from one company to the next. Despite these varied work environments, specific duties and responsibilities remain constant.
- Loads and unloads all shipping and receiving warehouse items.
- Transports materials to different locations throughout the facility.
- Optimize loads for operational efficiency.
- Secures loads for machining before transporting.
- Inspects all vehicles for damages.
- Schedule vehicles for repairs and routine maintenance.
- Manages and operates technical equipment.
- Uses RF scanning equipment to manage inventory.
- Picks and wraps orders for shipping.
- Identifies workplace safety hazards.
- Adheres to all management safety standards.
- Adheres to all production schedules.
- Performs quality checks.
- Checks in and approves shipments.
Forklift Operator Requirements
Enrolling in a forklift certificate program will give you a general idea of what to expect regarding the requirements and skills employers expect. Keep in mind, though; employees have more or fewer responsibilities and expectations depending on the company or organization.
- High school diploma or the equivalent.
- A valid certificate to operate a forklift.
- A valid and clean driver’s license.
- Superb hand-eye coordination.
- Proficiency operating RF scanners and technical machinery.
- Excellent physical condition.
- Strong mathematical skills.
- Impeccable organizational skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Extraordinary verbal and written communication skills.
Using This Forklift Operator Job Description Template
In order to use your new forklift operator job description template, follow the instructions below.
- Step one: Copy and paste all sections into a new Word Document (Job Description Sample, Duties, Skills, and Requirements).
- Step two: Customize your requirements or duties to anything special to your environment. Be sure that you meet with either executive staff members or team members to qualify what requirements need to be met.
- Step three: When posting your job online, be sure to include an average salary range as this can help to prevent applicants who don't meet your criteria. Salary ranges are provided in each template.
- Step four: Before posting your job, be sure to check with your team and ensure all descriptions, duties, and requirements are accurate. This will save you from potential miscommunications during the interview process.
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..