Best Creative Director Job Description Sample (+ Free Template Download) 
A creative director is a professional who oversees the creative process and creative execution of a creative department. Depending on the industry or focus, the creative director’s role and responsibilities may shift. A creative director is the professional who oversees the early stages of projects, initiatives, and helps to cast a vision for the design philosophy.
Creative directors are able to keep track of industry trends, technology trends, and lead a team of creative staff members. The creative director is a dynamic role in an agency or directly for a brand. A creative director must coach, lead, and educate staff members on client work (graphic design, brand design, web design, and other creative executions).
Creative Director Job Description Sample
Our business is seeking a creative director who can oversee our creative staff and assist in the creative lead of all initiatives, projects, brand development, visual communication, and more. As a creative director, you’ll be working closely with the associate creative director, graphic designer, and other staff to plot creative work and creative vision with the creative team. Previous experience as a creative director in the graphic design industry is preferred.
Creative Director Duties and Responsibilities
Below are sample job duties and responsibilities of a creative director.
- Oversee the early-stage creative direction of all initiatives.
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously and assist with their creative concept development.
- Assist with general art direction and provide creative guidance.
- Oversee marketing campaigns and assist with their creative strategy and marketing strategy.
- Provide ongoing support to creative team members.
- Understand advertising trends and how to compete in the advertising space.
- Cultivate creative solutions from concept to reality.
- Nurture every creative idea from the team. From the copywriter to the graphic artists.
- Assist with copywriting, brand standards, and all brand-related communications for each advertising campaign.
- Provide insights and reporting to the executive creative director.
- Provide social media brand direction to the digital teams managing content marketing and other customer focused profiles.
- Assit with translating marketing objectives into creative strategies.
- Work closely with clients to understand business objectives, feedback on creative work, and more.
Job duties and responsibilities may vary depending on the type of creative director.
In-House Creative Director
- Keep track of the brands creative direction.
- Work closely with the Chief Marketing Officer on all marketing initiatives.
- Have a great level of control of the graphic design team, creative team, and compete in the marketplace against other brands.
Digital Creative Director and Agency Creative Director
- Lead a large team of creative team members and dedicated marketers.
- Coordinate meetings with clients to adjust their creative guidance and learn about new quarterly objectives.
- Turn concepts into creative executions for customers.
- Work closely with clients Chief Marketing Officers and other executive staff members.
Fashion Creative Director
- Oversee fall, winter, spring, and summer fashion lines.
- Oversee the overall brand cohesiveness.
- Review fabric samples, garment samples, and order samples from manufacturing companies.
Social Media Creative Director
- Oversee all brand directions on Snapchat, Facebook, LinkedIn, and more.
- Work closely with videographers, graphic designers, and influencers to produce content for social media accounts.
- Ensure that customers are seeing products, services, and cohesiveness of the brand voice.
Creative Director Requirements
Qualified candidates will have the following:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Arts, Marketing, or Business Communications.
- Previous experience at an advertising agency (ad agency) preferred.
- At least 5+ years of experience in the creative field.
- Previous experience as a senior art director or in a previous creative director position preferred.
- Proficiency with web design, HTML, CSS, and other programming languages is a plus.
Creative Director Salary
According to PayScale, a creative director earns $123,600 per year , on average. With a lower percentile earning $84,500 per year, on average. And the upper percentile earnings $168,400 per year, on average.
Creative Director Skills
Top candidates in the creative director field have the following job skills:
- Organizational skills.
- Comprehension skills.
- Presentation skills.
- Verbal communication skills.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Copywriting skills.
- Brand direction skills.
- Brand building skills.
- Project management skills.
Creative Director Job Boards
Employers looking to post a creative director job or job advertisement should post on these top industry job boards for creative direction. It's advised that an employer post on a "niche" job board before posting to a major job board like Indeed, Monster, or Dice.com.
Posting on a "niche" job board can attract a number of candidates who have a strong passion for advancing their creative career.
Top creative director job boards
- We Work Remotely
- Design Jobs Board
- Design Week
- Authentic Jobs
Creative Director Job Description Template
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template:
- Step 1: Replace the job title, job brief, duties and requirements, and optional work environment sections based on the information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double-check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Proofread the job description. Then post on a job board.
Job Description Format
Follow the format below when writing a job description.
For more information on writing a job description, visit this resource.
Top Job Boards
Consider posting a job description or job advertisement (referred to as a "job ad") on one of the following national job boards:
Related Hiring Resources5+ Best Creative Director Interview Questions & Answers
Creative Director Resume Example
Associate Creative Director Cover Letter Sample
Associate Creative Director Job Description
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..