Data Analyst Job Description Template
Free data analyst job description template. A data analyst is a professional who transforms and models data and information with the goal of discovering useful business information. And conclusions that can help support decision-making within a business. In this sense, a data analyst is someone who performs business analysis using data models and data transformations.
A data analyst is sometimes referred to as a business analyst, data scientist, senior data analyst, or junior data analyst. With other titles including operations analyst, market research analyst, marketing analyst, or data scientist depending on the business and industry. Working in finance, marketing, healthcare, and manufacturing.
What is a Data Analyst
Organizations in all industries (like finance and IT) increasingly rely on quantitative data to inform critical business decisions. This includes new products to develop, new business markets to enter, new investments to make, and how to address certain customer segments. Data analysts work in all sectors, from healthcare to marketing to retail to investment banking.
In these organizations, the job of the data analyst is to assign a numerical value to these important business functions. So business performance can be assessed and compared over time. Creating guidance for the business and informing the overall business direction. But the job involves more than just looking at numbers. An analyst needs to extract insights from large data sets in order to enable an organization to make quantitatively informed decisions.
Additional duties of the analyst
When an executive member asks the data analyst team to gather information. The analysts might find themselves working with raw data and information. Writing reports based on their findings. And producing technical specifications for moving forward with certain technical or market challenges.
A data analyst in a startup position might find themselves working closely with product managers. Working to gather data, information, and user experience insights. From there, the two team members can make better decisions based on consumer information.
Data Analyst Job Description Sample and Template
Sample data analyst job description. Use the following job description template to write an effective job description and job advertisement.
Our business is seeking a data analyst who can help to perform predictive analysis against our business. We rely heavily on the data analyst role to utilize machine learning, data mining, cognitive computing, and data sets. As well as statistical analysis, data analytics, and other business data to gather and determine business intelligence and actionable insights. As a data analyst, you’ll be practicing computer science and big data analytics to create predictive models and predictive analytics for our business teams. Use Tableau, Oracle, R, Python, Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, D3, and AWS to gather information and assist with business decisions.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Below are data analyst responsibilities and job duties. Use the following job description sample to write a comprehensive job advertisement or job posting.
- Control the data analysis pipeline and work closely with a financial analyst, business analyst, operations research analyst, and other analyst roles.
- Cleanse and ensure data quality and data integrity while modeling new data sets.
- Practice data science by ingesting market data, internal revenue data, customer information, and more.
- Work closely with our internal statistician to create complex data models.
- Develop relational databases that help organize our large data sets.
- Be the stakeholder for determining business insight and more.
- Ingest large sets of healthcare data and set models for making business decisions.
- Generate a business analysis report and visualization for senior executive staff.
- Gather information from various sources, interpret patterns and trends through the transformation of the information.
- Work closely with a set of data engineers, a systems engineer, and more.
- Enable an organization to make more informed business decisions.
- Support the data warehouse and identify revising reporting requirements.
- Use all types of data analytics including: descriptive analytics, diagnostic analytics, predictive analytics, prescriptive analytics.
- Filter and "clean" data by using computer reports, performance indicators, and locate code problems.
- Oversee network operations to ensure data systems and software are running properly.
- Oversee every aspect of the data analysis process, including gathering information and data. Then transforming data with an engineer.
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or Statistics.
- Master's degree in data analytics is a strong plus.
- Experience in a related field. Or in a sector where data mining, manufacturing information, or production information is processed is a plus.
- Experience in a previous data analyst role or business analyst role preferred.
- Ability to utilize Microsoft Office, such as Microsoft Excel.
- Strong programming experience, including the use of Tableau, Oracle, R, Python, Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, D3, and AWS.
- Keen communication skills, analytical ability, and interpersonal skills.
- Be committed to transforming data into readable, goal-driven reports for innovation and business growth.
- Demonstrated the knowledge and ability to be adaptable. A decision-making individual with customer service skills and interpersonal relations. Comfortable building a software plan and using agile software development to execute.
- Strong attention to detail. Ability to analyze existing tools and databases.
Junior Data Analyst Job Description Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with data processing and data modeling projects.
- Work closely with a senior data analyst on special projects.
- Handle clerical tasks associated with the data analyst team requirements.
Senior Data Analyst Job Description Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with senior executives to understand upcoming initiatives and needs of the data analyst team.
- Assist junior data analysts and other analysts with mentorship and skill development.
- Coordinate work amongst the data analyst teams.
- Lead special projects.
- Associate Certified Analytics Professional (ACAP)
- Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences
- Certified Analytics Professional
- Cloudera Certified Associate (CCA) Data Analyst
- EMC Proven Professional Data Scientist Associate (EMCDSA)
- IBM Data Science Professional Certificate
- Microsoft Certified Azure Data Scientist Associate
- Microsoft Certified Data Analyst Associate
- Open Certified Data Scientist
- SAS Certified Advanced Analytics Professional Using SAS 9
- SAS Certified Big Data Professional Using SAS 9
- What Does a Data Analyst Do?
- Difference Between a Business Analyst and a Data Analyst
- How to Become a Data Analyst
Download the free data analyst job description PDF template. And use the sample data analyst job description provided to make an efficient job posting for your company. For more information please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
An ice breaker question is a question that’s asked from one person to another person in order to act as a conversation starter. It brings a connection...
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..