Best Dental Assistant Job Description Sample (+ Free Template Download)
A dental assistant is a professional part of the dental team. They support the dental operator in providing efficient dental treatment. This includes assisting with dental procedures like tooth fillings, crowns, or extractions. The dental assistant may assist with taking x-rays of the patient, pouring dental impressions (molds of the patient's mouth), and preparing the patient for surgery.
A dental assistant is sometimes referred to as a registered dental assistant.
Dental Assistant Job Description Sample
Our dental practice is seeking an experienced dental assistant and part-time dental hygienist to assist with general dental assistant duties. The ideal candidate is someone who has previous experience in a dental office, is familiar with dental equipment handling, cleaning, and operations. Qualified candidates should be certified through a dental assisting program from a college or university part of The Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA).
Dental Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Sample job duties and dental assistant responsibilities include:
- Assist the dentist with general patient care and assistance. This includes preparing the topical anesthetic, cleaning and handling dental instruments, and walking patients to the treatment room.
- Provide oral hygiene and dental hygiene instructions to patients after teeth cleanings.
- Provide teeth cleanings of each patients’ teeth using dental instruments for patients. Or assist the oral hygienist with the teeth cleaning procedure.
- Handle and prepare dental equipment like x-ray machines, mouth molding tools, and more.
- Assist with scheduling appointments for patients and ensuring patient records are accurate.
- Assist with general clerical tasks that the dental office requires.
- Coordinate patient care with other dental professionals.
- Provide patients with postoperative instructions and general oral health instructions after surgery. This includes instructions for infection control.
- Prepare dental fillings for the dentist.
Dental Assistant Requirements
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Certified Dental Assistant through a Dental Assistant Program from a school or college part of The Commission on Dental Accreditation.
- A high degree of verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills.
Dental Assistant Salary
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, a dental assistant earns $19.27 per hour, on average. Equalling $40,080 in median annual wages.
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template
- Step 1: Replace the job duties and requirements based on information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Then post on a job board.
Top Job Boards
Related Hiring ResourcesDental Assistant Cover Letter Sample
Dental Assistant Resume Example
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..