Example Dental Assistant Job Description (2022)
Free dental assistant job description. A dental assistant is a professional part of the dental team. They support the dental operator in providing efficient dental treatment. This includes assisting with dental procedures like tooth fillings, crowns, or extractions. The dental assistant may assist with taking x-rays of the patient and pouring dental impressions (molds of the patient's mouth). In addition, preparing the patient for surgery.
A dental assistant is sometimes referred to as a registered dental assistant.
Dental Assistant Job Description Sample
Our dental practice is seeking an experienced dental assistant and part-time dental hygienist to assist with general dental assistant duties. The ideal candidate is someone who has previous experience in a dental office, is familiar with dental equipment handling, cleaning, and operations. Qualified candidates should be certified through a dental assisting program from a college or university part of The Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA).
Dental Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Sample job duties and dental assistant responsibilities include:
- Assist the dentist with general patient care and assistance. This includes preparing the topical anesthetic, cleaning and handling dental instruments, and walking patients to the treatment room.
- Provide oral hygiene and dental hygiene instructions to patients after teeth cleanings.
- Provide teeth cleanings of each patients’ teeth using dental instruments for patients. Or assist the oral hygienist with the teeth cleaning procedure.
- Handle and prepare dental equipment like x-ray machines, mouth molding tools, and more.
- Assist with scheduling appointments for patients and ensuring patient records are accurate.
- Assist with general clerical tasks that the dental office requires.
- Coordinate patient care with other dental professionals.
- Provide patients with postoperative instructions and general oral health instructions after surgery. This includes instructions for infection control.
- Prepare dental fillings for the dentist.
- Help patients feel comfortable before and after surgery.
- Assist with office management tasks that often require the use of computer software.
- Provide direct patient care in all dental specialties. Including orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics, and oral surgery.
- Ask about a patients medical history and take blood pressure or vital signs before any surgery or dental work is conducted.
- Help patients understand the next steps in their recovery process. Including instructions on how to handle dental treatment procedures, like the replacement of a filling.
- Act as a type of infection control officer, developing your own unique ways of preventing infections and creating infection control protocols. Including the sterilization of instruments and equipment before use of the dentist.
Dental Assistant Requirements
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Certified Dental Assistant through a Dental Assistant Program from a school or college part of The Commission on Dental Accreditation.
- A high degree of verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Previous work in a dental office is a strong plus.
- Recent graduates or those who have recently completed their Certified Dental Assistant program are acceptable.
- A friendly and personalized attitude toward patients.
Dental Assistant Salary
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, a dental assistant earns $19.27 per hour, on average. Equalling $40,080 in median annual wages.
Download the free dental assistant job description PDF template. And use the sample dental assistant job description provided to make an efficient job posting for your company. For more information please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Dental Assistant Job Description Template
Download our job description template in Word or PDF format. Instant download. No email required.Download Template
All job descriptions
35+ Phone Interview Questions & Best Sample Answers
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
12+ Best Questions To Ask A Recruiter
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering "What Makes You Unique" In A Job Interview
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
250+ Ice Breaker Questions for Life
An ice breaker question is a question that’s asked from one person to another person in order to act as a conversation starter. It brings a connection...
10 Best Answers to "What Motivates You?"
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
Answering "How Did You Hear About This Position" In An Interview
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
8 Best Thank You Emails After an Interview (Samples, Free Templates)
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing a Resignation Letter (How To Write It, Samples)
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
How to End a Letter (Example Salutations, Sign Off's)
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..