Example Staff Accountant Job Description for 2022
Free staff accountant job description. A staff accountant is an entry-level accountant position. Compared to a regular accountant, a staff accountant is simply the staff member with the most entry-level accounting role. The staff accountant helps to main financial records, maintain financial ledgers, assist with budgeting, and assist with general bookkeeping. Staff accountants work closely with the senior accountant, controller, director, and other certified public accountants.
Staff Accountant Job Description Sample
Our accounting department is seeking a staff accountant to join our team of accounting professionals. The staff accountant will assist with general accounting duties. Like overseeing financial statements, financial transactions, and other accounting duties. And provide accurate accounting information to be placed into the general ledger. The staff accountant will work closely with the senior staff accountant and the CFO.
Staff Accountant Duties and Responsibilities
Job duties and staff accountant responsibilities include:
- Oversee a general ledger. Working closely with an accounting manager and senior accountant.
- Work closely with junior accountants and other financial professionals to oversee journal entries, financial reports, financial statements, and other financial reporting.
- Ensure financial data is accurate and correct before entering into the general ledger.
- Comprehend the companies accounting principles and enable them through internal controls and daily activity.
- Assist with internal audits (or while working with an auditor), reviewing accounting records, financial transactions, and general cash flow of the business.
- Perform regular balance sheet reconciliations.
- Report directly to the supervisor or senior accountant and CFO.
- Review financial information for accuracy and completeness.
- Assist with tax returns, ledger accounts, and other financial clerical duties.
- Handle internal and external reporting. Including preparing tax documents. Make sure all financial laws are being followed.
- Follow and define future accounting procedures.
- Split time management up with general reporting and maintaining financial reports.
Staff Accountant Requirements
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- CPA (Certified Public Accountant). 2-years experience in the accounting field.
- Previous accounting experience is preferred.
- Previous experience working with a general ledger system is preferred.
- Any previous experience at an accounting firm is a plus.
- Previous work experience as a tax accountant is okay.
- (Optional) Active pursuit of Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license.
- Experienced in audit accounting is a plus.
- Knowledge of GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles in the U.S.) a strong plus.
- Desire to continue to grow through training, education, and on-the-job-experience.
- Great communication skills. And attention to detail. Must possess strong time management skills.
- Previous experience at accounting firms is a strong plus.
- Ability to use general accounting software. Comfort working within the finance department.
Staff Accountant Skills
Qualified candidates have one or more of the following skills:
- Ability to keep confidentiality.
- Maintaining a general ledger.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work.
- Ability to organize work efficiently.
- Familiarity with accounting principles and procedures.
- Familiarity with corporate finance principles and procedures.
- General math skills.
- Microsoft Office Suite skills.
Staff Accountant Salary & Resources
According to Salary.com a staff accountant earns $55,150 per year, on average. With the top percentile earning $65,700 per year, on average. And entry-level workers earning $45,711 per year, on average.
Related job descriptions
Download the free staff accountant job description PDF template. And use the sample staff accountant job description provided to make an efficient job posting for your company. For more information please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Staff Accountant Job Description Template
Download our job description template in Word or PDF format. Instant download. No email required.Download Template
All job descriptions
35+ Phone Interview Questions & Best Sample Answers
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
12+ Best Questions To Ask A Recruiter
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering "What Makes You Unique" In A Job Interview
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
250+ Ice Breaker Questions for Life
An ice breaker question is a question that’s asked from one person to another person in order to act as a conversation starter. It brings a connection...
10 Best Answers to "What Motivates You?"
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
Answering "How Did You Hear About This Position" In An Interview
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
8 Best Thank You Emails After an Interview (Samples, Free Templates)
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing a Resignation Letter (How To Write It, Samples)
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
How to End a Letter (Example Salutations, Sign Off's)
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..