Best Staff Accountant Job Description Sample (+ Free Template Download)
A staff accountant is an entry-level accountant position. Compared to a regular accountant, a staff accountant is simply the staff member with the most entry-level accounting role. The staff accountant helps to main financial records, maintain financial ledgers, assist with budgeting, and assist with general bookkeeping. The staff accountant works closely with the senior accountant, controller, director, and other certified public accountants.
Staff Accountant Job Description Sample
Our accounting department is seeking a staff accountant to join our team of accounting professionals. The staff accountant will assist with general accounting duties like overseeing financial statements, financial transactions, and other accounting duties that provide accurate accounting information to be placed into the general ledger. The staff accountant will work closely with the senior staff accountant and the CFO.
Staff Accountant Duties and Responsibilities
Job duties and staff accountant responsibilities include:
- Oversee a general ledger. Working closely with an accounting manager and senior accountant.
- Work closely with junior accountants and other financial professionals to oversee journal entries, financial reports, financial statements, and other financial reporting.
- Ensure financial data is accurate and correct before entering into the general ledg
- Comprehend the companies accounting principles and enable them through internal controls and daily activity.
- Assist with internal audits (or while working with an auditor), reviewing accounting records, financial transactions, and general cash flow of the business.
- Perform regular balance sheet reconciliations.
- Report directly to the supervisor or senior accountant and CFO.
- Review financial information for accuracy and completeness.
- Assist with tax returns, ledger accounts, and other financial clerical duties.
Staff Accountant Requirements
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- CPA (Certified Public Accountant).
- Previous accounting experience is preferred.
- Previous experience working with a general ledger system is preferred.
- Previous experience at an accounting firm is a plus.
- Previous work experience as a tax accountant is okay.
Staff Accountant Salary
According to Salary.com a staff accountant earns $55,150 per year, on average. With the top percentile earning $65,700 per year, on average. And entry-level workers earning $45,711 per year, on average.
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template
- Step 1: Replace the job duties and requirements based on information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Then post on a job board.
Top Job Boards
Related Hiring ResourcesStaff Accountant Resume Example
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..