Best Hostess Job Description Sample (+ Free Template Download)
A hostess or restaurant host is a professional responsible for greeting customers as they enter an establishment and assist with their dining reservations. The hostess assists the patrons by providing them with restaurant menus and showing them to their seats. The hostess may handle the incoming phone calls and customer questions regarding the restaurant, menu, and creating dining reservations.
A hostess is sometimes referred to as a restaurant hostess or coffee shop hostess.
Hostess Job Description Sample
Our fine dining restaurant is seeking a hostess who can create a high-quality dining experience for our patrons and guests. A hostess will greet guests, mark their reservation, review the seating chart, and assist guests to their seats while providing them with a restaurant menu. Our hostess will oversee the dining room and front desk. The hostess should have a positive attitude at all times, especially during busy periods, and provide guests with accurate wait times in a friendly fashion.
Hostess Duties and Responsibilities
Below are the hostess job duties and responsibilities.
- Greet customers as they arrive.
- Work closely with the kitchen staff and waitress or waiter to start service for a new customer.
- Show guests the lounge and bar area for a beverage during long wait times.
- Work closely with the wait staff to ensure table rotation.
- Ensure the waiting area is clean, clear of obstructions and guests have a place to sit.
- Provide each guest with a high quality experience.
- Provide customer service to each guest who has questions about the menu, table seatings, or other questions.
- Offer a smile and a warm welcome while greeting guests.
- Provide excellent customer service while seating guests.
- Ensure guest satisfaction by asking about their meals.
- Mark each guest reservation as they arrive.
- Answer phone calls and take guest reservations.
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Previous experience in the food industry.
- Ability to practice excellent customer service.
- Previous experience in a hostess position preferred.
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template
- Step 1: Replace the job duties and requirements based on information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Then post on a job board.
Top Job Boards
Related Hiring Resources5+ Best Hostess Interview Questions & Answers
Hostess Cover Letter Sample
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..