Graphic Designer Job Description (2021)
Free graphic designer job description. A graphic designer is a professional who assists in the creation of visual content to communicate messages. They determine visual hierarchy, layouts, typography, photography, and other visual elements to communicate with a viewer. A graphic designer may assist in the development of interactive designers to develop user experiences.
Variations of the graphic designer job title (and role) include senior graphic designer, junior graphic designer, graphic artist, and graphic design specialist. And entry-level graphic designer or junior designer.
Graphic Designer Job Description Sample
Our company is seeking an experienced graphic designer. Someone who can assist with marketing material development, web design (website design), multimedia design, and brand identity. And take a concept to reality with our Marketing and Communication team. An ideal candidate will have a strong graphic design portfolio that displays experience in all types of art direction. From brand identity (corporate identity, corporate logos, or company logos) to product packaging.
Graphic Designer Duties and Responsibilities
Below are sample job duties and graphic designer responsibilities.
- Use graphic design software and computer software to turn a verbal concept into graphics.
- Take a visual concept from an art director and design graphics around the communications goals.
- Improve the layout of marketing materials, our website, and other design elements.
- Add creative flair to all brand assets.
- Use illustration skills to communicate brand messages.
- Work closely with a Creative Director to oversee projects.
- Must work closely with an Art Director to develop creative directions.
- Work closely with a Web Designer on motion graphics, interactive graphics, and more.
- Illustrates a concept by showing a rough layout of art and copy arrangements.
- Assists with the direction of type size, style, and related aesthetic concepts.
- Assists with the final layout of graphic concepts by refining type size, style, color theory, and more.
- Obtains approval of all creative concepts by the Creative Director and Art Director.
- Completes a project by coordinating with clients, customers, and other outside agencies.
Junior Graphic Designer Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and design various materials for print and digital collateral.
- Develop graphics to support key web customers.
- Support sales associates with various design request (e.g. presentation development, web banners, in-store displays, etc.).
- Organize and maintain the graphics file server of our Digital Asset Library.
- Prioritize and balance multiple projects within design specifications and budget restrictions.
- Perform retouching/creating 3D renders and manipulation of product images.
Graphic Designer Requirements
A qualified candidate must have the following:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design or Industrial Design.
- Graphic Design Degree preferred.
- A strong portfolio of creative work and graphic design.
- Ability to use design software such as Sketch, Framer, Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and more).
Graphic Designer Salary
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, a graphic designer earns an average salary of $52,110 per year. The top earners in this field earn upwards of $89,210 per year.
Graphic Designer Job Outlook
In the United States, the graphic designer position is projected to decline by roughly 4% between 2019 and 2029. As stated by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, "While overall employment in this occupation is expected to go down. Specific projections vary by industry. For example, the employment of graphic designers in newspaper, periodical, book, and directory publishers is projected to decline significantly. In contrast, the employment of graphic designers in computer systems design and related services is projected to grow. Companies are continuing to increase their digital presence, which sometimes requires graphic designers to help create visually appealing and effective layouts of websites."
Graphic Designer Certifications and Licenses
Top candidates in the field have the following certifications and licenses:
- Adobe CC Masterclass: Photoshop, Illustrator, XD & InDesign (Udemy)
- Illustrator CC 2020 MasterClass (Udemy)
- Graphic Design Elements for Non-Designers Specialization by University of Colorado Boulder (Coursera)
- The Graphic Design Masterclass (Udemy)
- Graphic Design Specialization by CalArts (Coursera)
Employers are encouraged to find a job seeker with one or more of the above certifications.
Graphic Designer Job Boards
Employers looking to post a graphic design job or job advertisement should post on these top industry job boards for graphic design. It's advised that an employer post on a "niche" job board before posting to a major job board like Indeed, Monster, or Dice.com.
Posting on a "niche" job board can attract a number of candidates who have a strong passion for advancing their graphic design career.
Top job boards
- We Work Remotely
- Design Jobs Board
- Design Week
- Authentic Jobs
Graphic Designer Skills
Employers should be looking for the following skills in an ideal candidate.
- Adobe Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and more)
- Microsoft (Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel)
- Moqups or Invision App
- Other HTML tools
- Logo Design
- Information Architecture
Additional skills include:
- Layout skills
- Analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Acute vision
- Time-management skills
- Communication skills
- Handles rejection well
According to Creative Boom, the essential characteristics and competencies of a graphic designer include "communication skills, curiosity, passion and drive. And openness, the ability to take criticism, problem-solving skills, self-doubt, patience, reliability, and evolution."
Rasmussen College goes on to add that "active-listening skills, clear and concise communication, time management. And the ability to take criticism in stride" are key skills that make a graphic designer highly desirable.
Graphic Design Associations
Graphic designers who belong to the following associations show a passion for the industry. And the desire to advance themselves through networking, new technology advancements, and more.
How to Write a Graphic Designer Job Description
Follow the directions below to write a graphic designer job description for a technology job, design job, or other industry-related position.
Write workplace expectations
Depending on the sample job description above, determine the ideal candidate's appropriate workplace expectations. Include those expectations in the job description or job brief.
It's best to describe the objectives of the graphic design position in the job brief. Provide the applicant key insights into what expectations the business has for the role. This can assist the applicant in writing a more accurate cover letter, resume, and providing better work samples.
Write daily responsibilities
Include the duties and responsibilities portion of the job description. If unclear how to write these duties, ask the technology staff or design staff what "important duties" are of a graphic designer. Solicit feedback and write duties from there.
Write requirements, certifications, and skills
Include what requirements, certifications, previous work experiences, and general skills are required for the position. Include those qualities under the "Requirements" section of the job description.
Don't use unique job titles
It's best to avoid job titles like, "Rockstar Graphic Designer." Use a common job title like Graphic Designer. Job applicants will feel more confident aligning previous work experience to an industry-common job title.
Download the free graphic designer job description PDF template. And use the sample graphic designer job description provided to make an efficient job posting for your company. For more information please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
All job descriptions
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
An ice breaker question is a question that’s asked from one person to another person in order to act as a conversation starter. It brings a connection...
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..